Quick Question Thread

they are any plan to make an animation for cell division?

make the macro-multicellular more beautiful to look then its grow in cell numbers

1 Like

there already is a sort of animation to it, but better is better

Issue has been open about adding an animation for it it since September 2020:

2 Likes

When will the next thrive version be out? I think the versions 0.5.9?

2 Likes

June 16 2022, hereā€™s the date.

2 Likes

Typo? Itā€™s actually July.

oh sorry, I actually made 2 typos, other one being the release in 2023

Where? I didnā€™t see thatā€¦

Is there a current plan for how the transition from the current multicellular stage to macrocellular, and ultimately, 3D, will be like? Iā€™m wondering how it will work going into it as a plant or an animal, because Iā€™m assuming the size difference going into the next stage will be quite large.

most likely plopping legs onto your multicellular organism out of nowhere, and then crawling up onto land because thats evolution.
(jk)

1 Like

I have a quick question, if thatā€™s alright. Does anyone know the original source of this Thrive theme? I heard that Doggit, the one credited with the creation of this song, stole music for a lot of their themes. Did they really make this one, or was this one stolen as well? I really like this theme, and it would be a shame if it turned out this was stolen.

Edit: According to this post, it is highly likely that this theme is plagiarized, probably from a video with very few views. It would be incredibly hard to find the original source.

1 Like

Is there a convention to the names of the stages? From what I understand, itā€™s a mix of factually descriptive and symbolic names. If that is the case, would it be thematically beneficial if the names stuck with one of the conventions? Like either ā€œMicrobe Stage, Multicellular Stage, Macroscopic Stage, Social Stage, Society Stage, Industrial Stage, Space Stage, and Transcendence Stageā€ or ā€œAdvent Stage, Tuning Stage, Aware Stage, Awakening Stage, Synergizing Stage, Establishment Stage, Escalation Stage, and Ascension Stage.ā€

Aware stage represents nervous systems, so sentience but not sapience. The multicellular stage will include macroscopic organisms just without a nervous system. Just wanted to clear that up, as it seems you split them into separate things in your list.

I personally think the names are fine as are, a good blend of the two different ā€˜themesā€™ is a bit more interesting than just one imo

The names are tied to the defining feature of development in the species in each stage.

Microbe: Youā€™re a microbe.

Multicellular: You are now multiple microbes, thus you have advanced.

Aware: You have developed a neural network, and thus a newfound awareness of the world around you.

Awakening: Your species has begun to learn and develop abstract concepts and understanding of the world beyond that of instinct. Most importantly, this knowledge is passed down.

Society: Members of your species have begun to aggregate into colonies where knowledge is shared, and survival is supported by one another. Cultural distinction begins to develop, as your species begins to question and understand the world around them.

Industrial: Having now grasped the concepts of physics, mathematics, and the constants of their world; Your species has by now developed sufficient technology and understanding to begin exploiting the world in ways never before seen. Distances and borders between nations will rapidly shrink as transportation and communication expands.

Space: Your species have set their eyes skyward to the great beyond, and have successfully reached into the void.

Ascension: Can we pull back the veil of static and reach into the source of all being? Behind this curtain of patterns, this random pattern generator. So clever, right here in every home, watching us from a one-sided mirror.

6 Likes

Maybe Sapient/Sentient would be more apt than Awakening?

Sentient would be even more confusing if aware stage was not renamed also. I donā€™t think we should consider renaming the stages at this point in the development. For some reason people have just in the past couple of years started to question the stage names whereas back in 2013-2018 the stage names were already decided and no one had a problem with themā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, I like the aesthetic of the names, and even if you disagree with me we can change them when we have some content to say clashes with the names.

The people who were interested in this project before this point were mostly theory crafters and ā€œconcept mongersā€, for lack of a better term. The sort of people who get excited enough over ideas to spend hours over hours reading, discussing, and building their understanding of what they are interested in.

ā€¦but now there is a game.
Now people are getting into thrive, the community, because they found that game and THEN joined the discussion.

The new people recently joining the community, at least some of them, are the more general type of gamer. They probably still like all of the same things, but they are more likely to get bored of reading about them faster. They dig around for the information less.
As such, they are more likely to get confused about some of the technical terms, until the terms are explained to them or they are shown where to best look for the information.

Not all of them, of course, but a higher number of them than before.

The names of the stages are simply one of the things about thrive that are shared around, but arenā€™t immediately simple to understand for someone who has yet to find the exact definitions/explanations of them.

I donā€™t think itā€™s possible to have one word explanations for what things are. Anyway people donā€™t know when the stages switch to each other even for the ones with clearer names. Pointing people to the wiki, when they donā€™t know when the stages switch and it is important for the current discussion, is the only thing that works.

2 Likes

Another word I found while searching was cognition