Quick Question Thread

Can an organelle that is longer than cilia and shorter than a flagellum exist?

no because neither have definite lengths and there is overlap between the length ranges

Your species is not competitive enough to survive, so auto-evo calculates your species population to be 0 each time. However, each time as the player when you reach the editor you gain 50 population (if at 0) for your individual good performance. This keeps you from getting a game over. People complain enough about not understanding how to make a species auto-evo likes already so I did not make it so that auto-evo can cause you to get a game over.

I opened an issue in February 2022 about this problem that the player is claimed to be extinct when they arenā€™t:

So far there hasnā€™t been anyone volunteering to take on that bug and solve it.

my advice: people need to git gud at thrive

partially joking.

1 Like

What does ā€œAI mutation rateā€ in the advanced settingsā€¦ do, precisely? The number of attempts made to mutate in one editor session? The amount of mutations per attempt? Some combination or something else?

I noticed after implementation of the tree of life that AI species do no follow the MP limit. So, I was messing around with this setting. Lowering seemed to reduce these events, but Iā€™m not sure exactly how.

It controls how many new organelles per mutation attempt will be tried to be added to the mutated species.

The AI mutation code does not care about MP at all. It has its own algorithm that has random chances for removing, moving, and adding organelles as well as changing other species parameters like membrane and colour.

2 Likes

Will there be air currents?

2 Likes

Thanks! So it does not affect the number of attempts (which is an option in the auto-evo exploring tool) but just the number of organelles it tries to add during each of those attempts (which is not an option in the auto-evo exploring tool)? Or have I got that wrong and it is the same?

Yes, those are separate things. Each mutation attempt will create a mutated version of the species (how that mutated version ends up being is dependent on the mutation rate modifier which controls the range of possible number of added organelles). So they are completely separate variables used by auto-evo.

1 Like

so having it at .2 makes it so that nothing can evolve past something you make?

what does the green mean again when you stab something and it turns green
does that mean it resists the attack used on it?

also another cell was just turning light green on its own, off and on? it was a red cell. idk what it was tryna do

1 Like

Green flashing indicates a cell being in binding mode. Unless I forget some feature, thereā€™s no other reason for a cell to turn gree.

I guess if you math it out that the number of added organelles on average is less than the number of organelles the player can afford with 100 MP, then that mutation rate would ensure the AI canā€™t overtake the player in number of organelles.

didnt know npc cells could bind. neat.

Well they canā€™t. Other than accidentally. I know that if a colony that is in binding mode breaks apart the individual cells can stay in binding mode.

is that soā€¦

wait i just realized: i am stupid. it was just a light green cell thats taking damage i thinkā€¦

butā€¦it has red organellsā€¦
doesnt make senseā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m not trying to encourage this, but you couldā€™ve uploaded the video on the forums instead of creating a YouTube account.

2 Likes

Is it possible, though? I thought that uploading videos was disabled as they are way larger than images.

Weā€™re simply not gonna allow that
It takes storage space
Lots of storage space

2 Likes

It depends on the length of the video. It might work if itā€™s just a 5 to 10 seconds video. Iā€™ve seen it at work before.