Quick Question Thread

Have you played Space Engineers? The game has fully sized planets/satellites and actually requires a lot of performance.

Is the replication of organelle a real increase of organelle or just a visual effect?

It is a real increase. Duplicated organelles work just like any other organelle.

No wonder sometimes there is insufficient ATP when moving.

Does this mean that each organelle is continuously calculated as an independent entity during the game? I used to think it was based on cells as entities, adding up various physiological processes in the editor.

One problem is that the division of organelle and the whole cell division are relatively independent processes. It seems unnecessary to divide all organelle

Yes, and no. The organelles exist as separate object instances that do some actions, but the actual cell processes are calculated as one thing based on the existing organelles (this is recalculated each time the organelles in a cell change).

As Thrive is open source, thereā€™s no deep mystery to how anything in the game works. All it takes is looking through the source code to see whatā€™s going on. For example:

That assumes that youā€™re actually storing every star system in the galaxy on disk. If systems were procedurally generated, that number would go down by several orders of magnitude.

Well yes, but then how would space empires work? Would any empire not near the player get saved to disk along with an area where it is? In effect it would be then basically the same as having a smaller map as nothing could actually happen in the huge map. Also if any player interactions need to be stored (for example the player blew up a planet, terraformed something, colonised that, placed cities) then the storage requirements and complexity will go up.

The way we are imagining the planet generation right now is that the planet generation is going to be slow so we have to cache the generated planets on disk. So the idea of just storing the random seed for the galaxy is going to make for an extremely slow gameplay experience as the player would need to constantly wait for planets to be generated when they switch what they are looking at.

1 Like

Fair enough I guess. I was under the impression that planet generation would be a lot simpler in the space stage, but I guess not.

As for handling alien states, I admit that Iā€™m not quite sure how that would work. Iā€™m in the process of trying to create a space strategy game with a procedurally generated galaxy myself and Iā€™m still working that one out.

Well my solution is to limit the galaxy size similar to 4X space strategy games. Then itā€™ll all make sense: we can keep simulating all the planets and space empires at once and the player has a lively universe to interact with.

To speed up planet generation, I think what we might end up doing is shipping a bunch of pregenerated planets with the game. That way when a new planet is needed we can just pick a random planet from a large list of precreated planets to keep solar system generation fast in the space stage.

You said some time ago that when it was complete, the game would occupy 10 GB, so what do you think that will take up more space?

Music and the textures for some of the environmental stuff that weā€™ll include premade. The 3 new 3D main menu backgrounds take up over 150 MB, mainly due to having 4K bump maps (and to a lesser extend high resolution colour textures).

For the upgrading of organelle, there is a doubt that for unicellular organism to obtain new organelle, it may only need to copy the original organelle without re evolving from the original structure. When I have a specialized flagella, can I directly replicate it instead of re evolving it from the cilia?

Centuries? Iā€™d say in 10 years, the middle class could have it

i said decades or centuries

Yes. Once a part is unlocked, it acts as its own part and can be placed down. Though certain upgrades will require to be toggled to currently, there will be a copy function eventually.

what will happen if i get enough neurons to go to the awakening stage and click the button as a sessile plant once muscles are fully implemented

Can I set a organelle type like the current multi cell setting cell type? I think itā€™s very interesting to record the evolution tree of organelle and single cell type of multicellular organism like the evolution tree of species.

Oh no, more work for the programming team. I have not wanted to suggest this feature because it needs a bunch of new GUI work and explaining it to new players. It also breaks the design of the editor where no matter which way you do something it results in the same MP usage. This duplicating organelles with upgrades would explicitly break that or make the action combining system vastly more complicated (itā€™s already the most complicated and bug-prone part of the editor).

That means that if I have many identical organelle, I need to perform the same operation on them one by one if I want them to perform the same specialization, and spend a lot of MP that is multiple of the number of organelle. It is really frustrating.

In fact, this replicable and upgradeable organelle model only needs to be used for extracellular structures and membrane organelle to reflect their differences from functional protein structure.

The organelle upgrade costs should be determined with that in mind. Also the way upgrades are, in my mind, meant to be really different ways the organelles work. It wouldnā€™t be so bad as you wouldnā€™t want to blindly upgrade all of your organelles with the same upgrade. Thatā€™s a really huge reason why the original organelle upgrade plans specifically called out to ban just flat out ā€œupgradesā€ to make an organelle more efficient. Instead they should fundamentally change the organelle to add different gameplay options.