"Radioplast" and "Kinetofimbria"

HI!!! (again)
I want to offer an idea(s), I checked if they existed before (partly it exists, but that’s not what I want to offer) which was also interesting with new game mechanics and I also think with the idea will not be accepted, at least there was a basis for a better idea.
(And also because I do not know where to put it exactly)

Well, I want to offer 2 energy-efficient organelles: one has been proposed in the past, but I want to change the idea a bit, and the other is a new idea and can offer, even if it is not accepted, a completely new mechanics.

Familiar idea: “Radioplast”

I mainly used the information from the book “Cosmic Biology” (I recommend because I like Speculative Evolution)

According to the book, in short, something like this can use radioactive radiation as an energy source (more precisely, at the level of 4 Sv it is an energy source equal to 0.001 kcal /s/ kg).

But uranium is one thing and it is known, what I suggest is other sources, for example cosmic radiation as an additional energy source.

It has less of an effect if you are at the bottom of the sea, but with you closer to the atmosphere, you can use radiation as a direct source of ATP (and another organelle to use the excess as storage for sugar [glucose] or even fat). It’s basically similar to the existing photoplast, just instead of producing glucose, you produce straight ATP.

Another source is ultraviolet radiation, which is believed to have been used in the past by post-photosynthesis as a primary source of energy, but here I think it is too close to being as photosynthesis.

I thought of exact numbers, I think if it’s acceptable, it should think together for game balance.

I will not add further because this idea has been published in the past (and I think more than once), so move on to the more interesting idea.

Kinetofimbria

Composition of the words kinetic and fimbria

Using motion as a source of energy (here again I use the book “Cosmic Biology” but also the book “Life in the Universe: Expectations and Constraints”, you can read for partially free through Google: Life in the Universe (look on page 85) )

In any case, it is Pili outside the cell whose function is to absorb current and convert it into an energy source

There are 5 types of “streams”:

1. Water flowing
  2. Wing
  3. Water falls (as in a waterfall)
  4. Movement of differences of ions or salts in water
  5. Underwater currents (like the Gulf Stream, but a better example is the Underwater Streams Falls of Antarctica, I do not remember the name)

And no matter what is chosen, even if it’s more than one, it also adds new mechanics (and if I’m not mistaken, it was in Spore as well):

Current (both in the sea and in the air)

In short: the stronger the current, the more energy you generate from it.
According to real calculated data:
Water flowing at 0.1 m/s (slow stream) produces 0.00012 kcal /s/m^2 (this is a lot for such a weak current).

I imagine it as a pendulum swinging forward or backward, or alternatively spinning like flutes. In this way, heat is created from friction use as an energy to generated ATP (according to the law of conservation of energy) and can be converted into a preservative (glucose or fat).

My really abstract idea in painting:

It’s something out of the ordinary, and I think it was really interesting to add something like that and imagine an animal that uses currents as an alternative source of energy and that it lives in currents, it was amazing.

The disadvantage is of course obvious:
The need for flow is required to activate something like this,
And active movement can even turn the creature energy from flowing (but this is possible if it swims faster than the flow intensity, but if it uses swimming just to stabilize itself, maybe it will produce even relatively more energy)

Even if it’s a little too fictional (even if numbers), I think it’s worth adding streams, it makes the game more interesting and challenging in some cases.

I was also thinking about creating a random planet, but that’s for another day, if I’d even offer this

I don’t want to write too many numbers or how exactly it works, so I put books to read. And also, when I write more, so it takes me longer to finish, it only took me an hour and a half to write everything.

I hope this is a good idea (at least some)

edit: In my opinion, I think it’s better calling it Kinetocilia

12 Likes

I like the second proposition, but wouldn’t it make more sense if it was working like a turbine?

its make sense in the end, but, wave energy in water its harder then air or just energy movment

If you did not understand, I can give an explanation from reality: wave turbines

It’s hard to create wave energy, we have not yet found something simple (and yet we have not found anything similar in the world of life).
It’s just my argument why it’s better not to look like turbines, these are more like a sail

3 Likes

OK, I was thinking how it could work in the game (The Kinetocilia/Kinetofimbria):

If and you have it open and located on the cell, you had something good on the uniform: it was the ambient speedometer where you are.

It will capture one HEX (like Сilia) and in a state of weak flow, it will only produce ATP, but if it is in strong flow, it will also produce glucose in a way that depends on the intensity of the flow. Something simple but that was both healthy for the game and a game of search.

On closer inspection, I said it was a type of flutes that activates a pendulum, but after some reading, I think it would have been better if it was a forest of flutes (Fimbria) within which there were organic Piezoelectrics (electric charge that accumulates in certain solid materials in response to applied mechanical stress, such as quartz or DNA) that would be transferred directly to ATP.

kinetocilia concept art for minor help:

I think that was healthy and also interesting mechanics

Ultimately, it’s my idea or view on this idea, And hope (that even some) will see light was a real thing

5 Likes

So basically photosynthesis, but using other spectra aside from visible light?

Also: “photoplast” combines the chemical reactions of the Calvin cycle and thylakoid electron transport chain, when really it should just be a thylakoid that produces ATP. So photoplast and radioplast are practically the same (arguably). By the way, the suffix -plast implies that it descended from a plastid - like chloroplast - which implies that it’s an endosymbiont/eukaryote organelle.

In the end … yes…

Everything is concentrated in the same way, because basically everything comes from the same source, As if light is only a small part of the electromagnetic spectrum So in the end, they are the same, only different

1 Like

Wouldn’t you need to have huge volume in order to capture any significant number of cosmic rays?

The only way I see cosmic rays being some kind of energy source, is on a rogue planet, as on any planet orbiting a star, the radiation coming from the nearby star will be so much greater than cosmic rays that it won’t be useful. Any species trying to use the millions of times lower energy from cosmic rays will be out competed by photosynthesisers.

3 Likes

It requires a lot just to get some, on Earth, most of the radiation is blocked by the Earth’s magnetic field, or the ozone layer, but in the past, the ozone layer did not exist because there was no oxygen in the atmosphere, but still in my opinion it is not enough, but It does not have to be just cosmic radiation (I gave this just as an example …).
Besides, it could be suitable for a rogue planet.

2 Likes

Besides, you could just use uranium! (I know that is besides the point, but still!)
(Also sorry for necroposting)

1 Like

ice is already frozen. also if the planet is a hycean planet it will have lots of water and lots of heat to convect from it’s mantle to it’s surface and even more heat to conduct from it’s core to it’s mantle and it’s core will likely be almost entirely silicates, metals, and radioactive compounds and elements that will heat it up. also if a hycean planet gets hit by an asteroid all that will happen is a big splash and maybe some ice getting broken if there is any so there would be no extinctions from meteors unless something was a living continent so a low percentage of the water would become ice(especially since hydrogen only becomes liquid at extremely high pressures and helium only becomes liquid at 3-1 kelvin)

1 Like