Sub-stages for space stage

My idea for the space stage would be that there would be sub-stages like this:
Basic understanding of space
Staged orbiters with probes
Flyby/orbit of a moon with a probe and people in space
People on a moon, interplanetary probes and space station(s)
Civilians in space
Colony on a moon
Manned interplanetary missions that bring colonies on to the other planets
Common interplanetary missions and sstos
Interstellar probes
Manned interstellar missions to colonize other systems
Type 2 civilization
Frequent interstellar missions
…
It would go on for a long time until you reach type a 3 civilization, finishing the game.
It wouldn’t have to be exactly this, but i think it should be something like this.

Stage transitions are supposed to be very smooth anyway. The stages are more meant as a general labels to talk about specific parts of the game. Splitting them up further for what doesn’t seem to even benefit discussing things doesn’t seem very useful to me.

Yeah, but there are some not so smooth transitions, like type 2 civilization

How is that not smooth? What happens then?

In my opinion there’ll be just 2 big disconnects: turning macroscopic and becoming fully 3D, and moving to the strategic view and controls in society stage.

I just think making a dyson sphere or something wouldn’t be that smooth, it would just be kinda wierd to suddenly control so much energy

But it would use all the same controls and GUI, so there’s no actual difference in the gameplay mechanics at that point. Thus there’s no stage transition at that point.

I guess… still seems not that smooth since you could suddenly power muliple civilizations.

I would delete this post but it dosent let me

You wouldn’t. A solid sphere isn’t physics though a swarm would achieve the same effect (also a Dyson swarm is what Dyson meant by sphere). Said swarm would take at least a century to build, and sense any given particle has many solar receivers and stellazers take literally just two mirrors, you’d have a more gradual slide anyways. Each giant O’Neill cylinder or solar array would inch you closer. It wouldn’t be all at once.

One century, thats way less than an editor session, so it is sudden.

No it isnt, not only because virtually nothing changes other than the amount of energy avaible, but also because the editor sessions will decrease in time that will pass in them

1 Like

Um- no it’s not. I’ve never seen anyone say this. I’d assume that at the rate of modern technological advancements one century is several sessions. (In the bronze age you’d get a sessions every few centuries you yeah that makes sense why you’d think that.) Also you’d build the swarm in the time in-between sessions anyways. It’d be a smooth transition, though a little exponential.

idt there will be any “sessions” in those stages, as we only have “sessions” for evolution, and since we need to build up a lot of stuff for it each trip to the editor is like a sall milestone, but once you reach the awakening stage you can’t really call every time you enter the tech editor a session, as they would be so common, and so randomly spaced apart from eachother, that they wouldn’t be called sessions
am i making sense here?

also the big difference with the 2d = 3d transition and the single player = strategy game transition with something like that is that its a meta transition, meaning that the changes are all in the ui and gameplay and don’t reflect reality, that’s what makes it “unsmooth”, but with that it would be entirely realistic for you to get a crazy amount of power, and since it doesn’t need any ui or gameplay changes, its a realistic transition.
i feel like i am once again not making sense…

1 Like

This is correct. Once you reach society stage, evolution basically stops as you move to the timescale of just about 10 thousand years taking it for you to reach space. Basically something like lactose tolerance is the only thing you can really evolve at that point.

well technically evolution happens every second, every person at any given time has about 100 different unique mutations, all of them unnoticeable, which is, technically, evolution.
technically

No, those are just mutations, evolution is the process in which a species adapts to its enviroment

but what constitutes a species?
in the barest technical sense, every thing is its own “species”, species that are closely related enough to procreate.

A species is a group of living organisms consisting of similar individuals capable of exchanging genes or interbreeding.

1 Like

Here are my questions:
You said:
My idea for the space stage would be that there would be sub-stages like this:
Basic understanding of space
Staged orbiters with probes(what is the difference between “orbit of a moon with a probe and people in space” and “staged orbiters with probes”)
Flyby/orbit of a moon with a probe and people in space
People on a moon, interplanetary probes and space station(s)
Civilians in space
Colony on a moon
Manned interplanetary missions that bring colonies on to the other planets
Common interplanetary missions and sstos
Interstellar probes
Manned interstellar missions to colonize other systems
Type 2 civilization
Frequent interstellar missions
…

And what, may I ask, are you concerned about?

1 Like