The Thrive Odyssey

To be honest they are all that since all these nationalities are the evolution of the Celtic starting culture

They occupied much of Europe around the time of the Roman empire and a bit before. Modern languages in the Celtic family would include Gaelic and Irish. Celtic cultures were largely displaced; in the French case by the Romans and in the English case by the Germanic Anglo-Saxon invaders.

@yp364 Not quite. That’s true for the Irish, but the French have more of a Latin romance heritage and the Germans are Germanic. Britain is kind of a long story.

On the names I’m choosing we’re still waaay back in time and in an alternate history, so Celtic stuff is barely more related, and I think picking Greek mythology names gives a heroic ring. I could blend some other names in as we go along. Maybe Basque as it’s the last remnant of the language the neolithic farmers spoke.

Edit: Oh wait, you’re Greece. I can change now if you feel like I’m muscling in on your territory.

I have no problem if you use them but it is a problem from a world building perspective.

What do you mean? What is it with Britain?

Anyway, I can’t wait to continue the game! The significant gameplay changes made it even more exciting because of all the research and things you have to do.

A message to the Grand Master @OmnipotentFNarr: how do you intend to make the transition between the village interstage and the civilization stage?

We’re good to go for the next round! Heck yeah!

I have a good idea but I want to keep it secret so you don’t just rush to the goal. I want you all to enjoy the stage, unless you really want to know.

Story

Twenty thousand years have passed since we looked through the hourglass into our players’ lives, and a lot has happened since then. Domestication, exploration, one tribe even managed to sedentarize themselves already! Time is moving quickly, and this is definitely a story that will go another direction, when compared to its real-life counterpart…

Volume 2: Diffusion
Round 36 - 80,000 Years ago

Phoenicia

Leader: Tekis

Actions: [Global] Domesticate goats
Result: 18/20

Your people are currently nomadic, so they might not always have food, but after generations of capturing and breeding wild goats, they have become domesticated enough to follow the pack. You now have a semi-reliable source of dairy, meat and wool.

Villages: 1 (Tyre [Capital])
Region:Southern Lebanon, Asia (Middle East)
Stability: Sturdy 4

Population: 20
Jobs: N/A

Type: Bard (Thanks to your entertainment, you get a bonus to diplomacy and trade with other nations)

Technology

Tools: Basic (Wood, Bone)
Weapons: Basic Melee (Spear, Club), Basic Ranged (Shortbow)
Structures: Portable Tents
Domestic: Goats
Other: N/A

Hellenes

Leader: Tiresias

Actions: [Global] Scout the region
Result: 4/20
While scouting the region, the expedition you sent gets injured and can’t reach you back. You will lose 4 population for a set amount of turns.

Villages: 1 (Apolonia [Capital])
Region: Coast of Epirus, Greece
Stability: Stable 3

Population: 20 (-4)

Type: Outcast (Because of your peculiar nation’s practices, others tend to stay away from you, giving lower initial reputation. On the upside, this gives you a bonus to technology development and you are harder to spy on)

Technology

Britannia

Leader: Arthur of Londinium

Actions: [Global] Research stone housing (masonry)
Result: 15/20
You realize that your tents are pretty flimsy on their own and tend to fly away with strong winds if not attached properly, so you decide to spend time trying to find solutions to your problem. The result was building houses with mud bricks that are dried in the sun. However, the drawback is that these are hard to transport, so building houses with these clay bricks would mean you would have to settle down, which you can’t do, since you don’t have a reliable source of food.

Villages: 1 (Londinium [Capital])
Region: British Isles, Europe

Population: 25

Type: Diplomat (Thanks to your smooth-talking skills, you know how to convince people that you are nice, giving you a bonus to negotiations and initial reputation. You also start with extra population)

Technology

Structures: Portable Tents, Masonry

Laestrygonians

Leader: Sysiphus

Action: Research boats
Result: 15/20
Living near a body of water, you always wondered if there was a way to master the waves. Putting all your ideas and observations together, your tribe comes up with a concept. Seeing as how wood floats on top of water, you tested to see if a man could stay afloat if resting on top of a piece of wood. After a few failed attempts, you succeed by tying a few logs together to form a raft. Using a stick as a paddle, you can navigate your way through rivers and around obstacles.

Villages: 1 (Laestrygon [Capital])
Region: Normandy, France

Population: 25

Type: Trader (All that time working with the ground has made you accumulate an abundance of resources you know others want, granting you a bonus in trading and initial population)

Technology

Tools: Basic (Wood, Bone), Raft

Bananarama

Leader: Zen’Zon

Actions: [Global] Agriculture
Result: 20/20!
Walking around in the hot climate is tiring, so your people wanted to find a solution and settle down. When you stopped at your usual spot in the Nile riverbed to resupply, one of your men noticed that some of the date seeds he threw away a few months ago started to sprout! He remembered that because that was where he saw the funny-looking rock, so you all realized that you can regrow plants using their seeds. So you decided to settle down and start growing your own food, starting with some banana plantations. As a result, you are no longer nomadic, and you are now sedentary! Your population has increased, but you are not quite ready to have two global votes.

This has attracted the attention of your rival tribe, who might raid you soon to steal your supplies! (This is the continuation of the war from the previous chapter, as per your request)

Villages: 1 (Musa Saientum Fixa [Capital])
Region: Nile banks, Egypt
Stability: Strong 5

Population: 35

Type: Zealot (You know your faith is the right one, and you want everyone to believe in it, whether by will or at gunpoint. This grants you a bonus in combat and religion but a malus in initial reputation, as people feel intimidated by your warmongering)

Technology

Other: Agriculture

Tarkahmehd

Leader: Evolution4Weak

Action: Scout the area
Result: 17/20 +3 = 20/20!
You come from a long line of scouts, so you know how to analyse an area for anything of use. You find a huge body of water whose other shore you cannot perceive even from the highest vantage point you can find. That’s because it is in fact the Atlantic Ocean. While looking for the other end of this seemingly impossibly large river, you notice fish swimming near the shore. You weave a net out of a few fibres and actually manage to capture the fish! After cooking and carefully eating it, you consider it a safe form of food you can now harvest. You have invented fishing and can use your new nets for trapping!

Villages: 1 (Acirema [Capital])
Region: Portugal, Europe
Stability: Sturdy 4

Type: Scout (You know the land like the back of your hands, which comes with the perk of a bonus in spying and exploration)

Technology

Tools: Basic (Wood, Bone), Net
Other: Fishing, Trapping

Mexica

Leader: Montezuma

Actions: [Global] Research theocracy
Result: 5/20 +3 = 8/20
Unfortunately, even after all the pondering, you can’t finish your thoughts on a new form of governance, as there are more pressing matters, such as finding a reliable food source, so your people urge you to step out of your think tent for now.

Villages: 1 (Tenochtitlán [Capital])
Region: Mexican Valley, Mexico

Type: Shaman (You are devoted to helping others while pondering about the mysteries of the Cosmos. This grants you a bonus in technological research and initial reputation)

Technology

Mongols

Leader: Kada

Actions: Horse domestication
Result: 12 +1 (tech research) = 13/20
You had had many encounters with wild horses before, wondering if you could use them to your advantage. They looked too fit to be fattened, too graceful to be loaded, but maybe they could be ridden… That is what you have all worked on. While they were uncomfortable at first, after generations of natural selection, you have successfully domesticated horses and even started to ride them, although they are still too weak to carry anything other than one adult.

Tribes: 1 (Kherzit [Capital])
Region: Mongolia

Type: Religious (Your faith is strong and no one can tell you otherwise! You have a bonus in religion and technology research)

Technology

Domestic: Horses
Other: Riding

@blackjacksike @Magic8Ball04 @Mr.Pigeon @Pentaphon @TeaKing @Evolution4Weak @zenzonegaming @OoferDoofer @yp364

2 Likes

try to find a way to capture fish.

Ah, Montezuma, you disappoint me! Anyway, maybe my people have a point and I must find a reliable food source. Sooo I will use my shaman ways to…

Action: Research agriculture

So how do split task into individuals?
what are the rule about it?

Have 10 Men become horse archer warriors

Research improved bows

Also can you change my name to Kada Khan

Basically you can have as many votes as you want as long as you have enough people, but every 3 people you have less than total removes a point from the roll. e.g. You have 20 people and you put 11 to research irrigation. Since you are missing 3 groups of 3, you get -3 on your roll.

The threshold will probably increase with population eventually.

EDIT: OK, what I’m going with for now is the threshold will increase with each 10 population, starting with 3 for 20, then 4 for 30 and so on.

Also sorry @OoferDoofer, the tech bonus is supposed to be two points, my bad.

The dice gods are not with me it seems

The Britons research agriculture and farming within Londinium.

Action: Research Agriculture

@Evolution4Weak copycat. You can’t call me a copycat since I only took advice from my Grand Game Master even though zenzonegaming was the first to farm. Oh well, we all have to cross agriculture.

Joke

All hail Britannia!

It’s just a reference. I had to.

Action research better stone tools

have my people research mud bricks in order to replace our tents.
and have 8 of my people put the same tech into making a wall around the village.

Are you sure you want to do that? If the first vote fails, the second one automatically fails too. Is that a risk you’re willing to take?

yes i do.
i have trust in the banods. :slightly_smiling_face: