The Thrive Odyssey

@yp364, you’re the only one left!

Action:domesticate cattle

I updated the map on my PC, but I’ll have to take pictures because of the web’s limited features.

Fifth Round of the Village Interstage

North America

Tenochtitlan, Mexica

Europe

Londinium, Britannia

Laestrygon, Laestrygonia

Tarkahmehd, Acirema

Middle-East

Musa sapientum fixa, Bananarama

Tyre, Phoenicia

Asia

Kherzit, Mongolia

3 Likes

*triple post

We’re all pready!

1 Like
Story

Lots of technology development is being made, and people are starting develop international relations as they discover each other. One tribe even nearly destroyed another, although the bloodshed came from both sides…

Volume 2: Diffusion
Round 40 - 40,000 Years ago

Phoenicia

Leader: Tekis

Actions: [Global] Agriculture
Result: 14/20
Your tribe thought it would be best to settle in one spot, since moving the mud huts is an impossibility, so they had to find a way to generate food without having to constantly look for it. The outcome of this research was agriculture, more specifically with grain. While the wild oats and wheat are inedible as-is, after grinding their seeds and mixing them with water, you end up with a dough that, once cooked, turns into bread! While it isn’t instantaneous food, on the upside, the grains grow at a faster pace than traditional fruits and vegetables. This increase in food production, along with your sedentarization, has increased your population.

Villages: 1 (Tyre [Capital])
Region:Southern Lebanon, Asia (Middle East)
Stability: Strong 5

Population: 48
Jobs: N/A

Type: Bard (Thanks to your entertainment, you get a bonus to diplomacy and trade with other nations)

Technology

Tools: Basic (Wood, Bone), Raft
Weapons: Basic Melee (Spear, Club), Basic Ranged (Shortbow), Trident
Structures: Mud hut
Domestic: Goats
Other: Fishing, Agriculture

Relations
Laestrygonians

Shared Technology: Goat domestication, Rafts

Hellenes

Leader: Tiresias

Actions: [Global] Domesticate cattle
Result: 11/20
The well-being of the tribe is always a priority, and what better way of insuring security than food security? You’ve come across herds of cattle grazing in fields before, and it gave you an idea. What if you could control and breed these beasts by will? You started by capturing and raising calves, so that they may grow trusting of you, before capturing and taking care of adults, then breeding them and selecting the fattest and most docile of the herd to end up with a farm animal that will not run away or attack when approached and will happily be fed and milked. You also use it for meat, so you have effectively raised your population.

Villages: 1 (Apolonia [Capital])
Region: Coast of Epirus, Greece
Stability: Stable 3

Population: 32

Type: Outcast (Because of your peculiar nation’s practices, others tend to stay away from you, giving lower initial reputation. On the upside, this gives you a bonus to technology development and you are harder to spy on)

Technology

Tools: Standard (Stone, Flint)
Weapons: Basic Melee (Spear, Club), Basic Ranged (Shortbow), Primitive protection (Targe)
Structures: Portable Tents
Domestic: Cattle
Other: N/A

Britannia

Leader: Arthur of Londinium

Actions: [Global] Better furnaces/fireplaces
Result: 19/20
Your tribe wants its fires to be more efficient for cooking and brickmaking, so they look for inspiration. They noticed that sometimes, the wind feeds the fire, so they make a sort of bag you can squeeze into a brick furnace structure, and light a blaze to test. The experiment is a success, making an efficient air-fed oven.

Villages: 1 (Londinium [Capital])
Region: British Isles, Europe
Stability: Sturdy 4

Population: 35

Type: Diplomat (Thanks to your smooth-talking skills, you know how to convince people that you are nice, giving you a bonus to negotiations and initial reputation. You also start with extra population)

Technology

Tools: Basic (Wood, Bone)
Weapons: Basic Melee (Spear, Club), Basic Ranged (Shortbow)
Structures: Stone houses
Other: Agriculture, Oven

Laestrygonians

Leader: Orko

Actions: [10] Explore the seas on a trade expedition, [20] Increase goat herds
Result: 16/20 -5 +3 +2 = 16/20, 13/20 -2 = 11/20
Your crew is sent on another expedition to a closer neighbour. They discover the people of Tarkahmehd. Your good relations prompt you to trade goods, and in exchange of teaching sailboat crafting, they teach you the secrets of fishing with nets, which can also double as trapping. Since you sailed a lot closer, you both get the tech instantly. (The reason I gave a second-tier tech is because Evo’s fishing is a 2-in-1)

Having now received the goats from your sailors’ first expedition, you want to increase the herd’s size to increase food, wool and milk production. You move them to bigger fields for grazing, but maybe it would be more efficient if some people were devoted to this task? Either way, your population increases from the influx of food.

Villages: 1 (Laestrygon [Capital])
Region: Normandy, France

Population: 45

Type: Trader (All that time working with the ground has made you accumulate an abundance of resources you know others want, granting you a bonus in trading and initial population)

Technology

Tools: Basic (Wood, Bone), Sailboat[+2], Nets
Domestic: Goats
Other: Fishing, Trapping

Relations
Phoenicians

Shared Technology: Goat domestication, Rafts

Tarkahmehd

Shared Technology: Fishing, Trapping, Sailboat

Bananarama

Leader: Barando

Actions: [Global] Attack the losers
Result: 18/20 +3 = 20/20!
You engage in a full frontal assault of the loser tribe, catching them off-guard and making quick work of them. You manage to take 20 of them as prisoners, 14 of which decide to convert. You also loot all of their supplies, which gives you more resources to increase your population. Their technology you managed to salvage was fishing and stone tools. However, their outpost is still in effect, so before you can capture their village, you must destroy their outpost. The greatest warrior in battle was Barando, who managed to take capture 10 of the prisoners himself and kill 6 other warriors. He is named the new chieftain of the village due to his heroic prowess.

Invasion roll (1 and 2= no attack, 3 and 4=immediate skirmish): 3/4
Unfortunately, while your entire tribe was busy attacking the losers, the camp set up near your village decided it was the perfect time to attack your tribe, killing the weak who were left to take care of the village. 6 people were killed and 2 others fled the village.

Villages: 1 (Musa Saientum Fixa [Capital])
Region: Nile banks, Egypt

Population: 45
Jobs: Soldier [10]

Type: Zealot (You know your faith is the right one, and you want everyone to believe in it, whether by will or at gunpoint. This grants you a bonus in combat and religion but a malus in initial reputation, as people feel intimidated by your warmongering)

Technology

Tools: Standard (Stone, Flint)
Weapons: Standard Melee (Spear [Flint, Stone], Club), Basic Ranged (Shortbow)
Other: Agriculture, Fishing

Relations

[details=“losers [NPC]”]

Tarkahmehd

Leader: Evolution4Weak

Action: [Global] Permanent Housing
Result: 14/20
After a lot more thought put into the housing problem, your tribe comes up with a neat idea: Log cabins. These houses are spacious enough for two families to dwell and are well ventilated, so your population can increase. They are also pretty sturdy, the only inconvenience being that no big fires can be made inside since the wood is flammable.

Also, you were visited by a new people. These people were the Laestrygonians, coming in search of trade and new technology. They give you the knowledge of sailboat-making and lots of goods in exchange of your fishing techniques, which comes with net-making and trapping and incresing your population. That means that any boat-travel related rolls will have a +2.

Villages: 1 (Acirema [Capital])
Region: Portugal, Europe

Population: 48

Type: Scout (You know the land like the back of your hands, which comes with the perk of a bonus in spying and exploration)

Technology

Tools: Basic (Wood, Bone), Net, Sailboat[+2]
Other: Fishing, Trapping, Agriculture

Relations
Laestrygonians

Shared Technology: Sailboat, Net, Trapping, Fishing

Mexica

Leader: Montezuma

Actions: [Global] Husbandry
Result: 19/20
Montezuma regards nature as one big family, so he wanted to find an animal he could take advantage of while the animal, in return, would benefit from their interactions. He found his answer with a bug he found marvelous, spending its time gorging itself on nectar before returning to its hive, whereupon it creates a sweet and succulent nectar. This creature is of course the honeybee, which can benefit from human security and a ready supply of flowers in exchange of its coveted golden liquid. Although resisting at first, after getting smoked by campfires and increased human interaction got them used to the collection, and eventually increased their production to keep up with the demand. Honey is a healthy substance, so your people became healthier and live longer, increasing your population.

Villages: 1 (Tenochtitlán [Capital])
Region: Mexican Valley, Mexico

Population: 52

Type: Shaman (You are devoted to helping others while pondering about the mysteries of the Cosmos. This grants you a bonus in technological research and initial reputation)

Technology

Structures: Portable Tents, Farms
Domestic: Honeybee
Other: Agriculture

Mongols

Leader: Kada Khan

Actions: [Global] Domesticate the Sheep
Result: 15/20
You take advantage of the gift and domesticate the herd through selective breeding to end up with a docile flock. You have access to wool, milk and more meat, increasing your population.

Tribes: 1 (Kherzit [Capital])
Region: Mongolia
Stability: Stable 3

Population: 35
Jobs: Horse Archer (10)

Type: Religious (Your faith is strong and no one can tell you otherwise! You have a bonus in religion and technology research)

Technology

Weapons: Basic Melee (Spear, Club), Standard (Longbow[Arrows: Flint, Flaming])
Domestic: Horses, Sheep
Other: Riding, Religion

Religion

Deity: Yargoyin
Beliefs: Yargoyin needs sacrifices (animal or human) or the animals of the steppe will slow and die.

@blackjacksike @Mr.Pigeon @Pentaphon @TeaKing @Evolution4Weak @zenzonegaming @OoferDoofer @yp364

Do you guys want NPC civs to randomly discover you, or do you want to discover NPC civs yourselves?

5 Likes

I’d say both, but if that’s not feasible then the former.

also ty for the round.

wow, I got a ton of food, so now its time to do something else.

action: invent pottery and make it a form of art.

1 Like

send my soldiers to destroy the loser camp with Barando killing the leader and eating his heart in order to gain his strength.
the people in the village attempt to make mud houses.

Whatever you guys want tho to be honest it will spice things a bit but ill prefer it when we move on the next stage

Action:discover better furnaces

Since we are the players, I’d rather discover the tribes myself instead of them trying to find me unless I already had contacted them before.

My actions

The Britons research on bronze metallurgy & blacksmithing.

You can’t research iron metallurgy first

Try copper

24 Action: Work On A Way To Defend Ourselves
24 Action: Build Some Farms

It was said that I had to research better furnace FOR iron metallurgy last round.

Was that a hint that I should create a division of labor? If so, 15 of my people will now fish, 20 will become goatherds, and the remaining will become traders. Does that count as an action?

1 Like

Yey, bees! The nicest insects:D
Action: Montezuma tries to create a pleasing story about how the world works, where we go when we die and is there a purpose for us all. (Create a religion)

Action (15) Research chariots
Action (20) search for a nearby tribe to attack

I would like discovering tribes to go both ways.

Since reactions are down, I have to reply, but yes, it was a small nudge at division of labour. In the future, if you see me hint at things like this, feel free to ignore me if you don’t want to do the action. Sometimes I just do this for storyboarding.

Also, I did a bit of research, and it turns out bronze (an alloy of tin and copper) was used before iron, so that would be another prerequisite as well. Sorry for not clearing it up sooner.

seems like everyone voted, so you can start making the round Omni, when you want to of course.

also we acheived 900 posts!

Ok then.

The Britons research on bronze metallurgy and blacksmithing.