The UI

for some reason the poll doesn’t stay in the nice order i put it in :frowning:

Good idea. 4 and 5 are different stages of the same design though, so I’d condense them into one option.

I was a little hesitant about trimming the “At Cursor” box. I added the extra space so that there’d be room for other compounds if a mod added them or something, but if the box can stretch then it can fit any number of entries nicely.

The height of the box can vary quite a bit though, and it might be distracting to see it changing shape all the time.

1 Like

i don’t want to reset the poll we’ll just consider 4 and 5 to be the same option while reading the poll

After some thought, I want to ask if HP and ATP numbers are really something necessary to have? Sure, it’s nice to know how much total health and ATP you have, but it also takes a lot of the elegance away from the original design, and most players can probably get by without knowing the exact numbers. That information could probably be viewed in the editor, or some sort of “organism profile.” Curious to hear your thoughts.

I feel the same for the Ammonia and Phosphate icons; I think they clutter the design a bit too much. Without the icons (which, due to their small size, might be hard to identify anyways) new players might not figure it out as quickly, but they’ll hopefully have plenty of opportunities to figure it out: Through tutorials, help menus, and seeing that, when you collect the orange Ammonia clouds, the orange bar goes up, and when you collect the purple Phosphate clouds, the purple bar goes up.

3 Likes

I quite like the HP and ATP bars. it gives it an official look to the game and it gives new players a better experience.
Edit:
Maybe we could make it so that the different bars can be toggled?

One thing that would be further beneficial would be a graphical design for the Alerts system that Rastro implemented. Highlighting the compound one runs low on in the bar and having a textual alert would be a great reminder for the player.
The bit about the “Required for: Chemosynthesis” would remind the player that they need that compound to metabolize ATP. Something better could probably be written. If the player does not have a use for H2S, then the alert should not appear.

3 Likes

Are we not gonna talk about the panel of environmental properties? We wanna know more about it! Is it gonna affect gameplay in the next update? And the UI looks just wonderful! Especially the editor, can’t wait for it! Good job!

1 Like

17 days after I made my poll i would consider the 4th and 5th option to be the most popular

Man, Naro’s concept’s are great! Is there any plans to implement this UI in the near future?

3 Likes

I love it. Is it in development, somewhat implemented, or just a concept?

It’s just a concept for now, though @Nein99 is making a mod which is trying to at least partially implement it, among other things:

2 Likes

Oh. I think it should be implemented in vanilla.

Well, Nein99 is part of the dev team now. There’s a bit of difficulty in the circular meter, but for the most part it’s pretty good.

7 Likes

(the green button with a G in the corner is a concept by @Untrustedlife)

I’d assume that is for ‘abilities’ like agents that require you to remember the buttons?

Okay, that is absolutely beautiful! Compliments to the chef!

1 Like

For those who haven’t seen the progress updates, this UI is being developed and will probably make it to the next release. Here’s how it currently looks like:

5 Likes

Will it have the attack labels?

That’s not planed at the moment

1 Like

It is very beautiful. Good work!