Theory on how species from other planets could be made

Hello there!

I thought of an idea of how the species from planets that aren’t from the player planet could form, I called the idea: The editor idea (me bad at names).

The idea is this: A procedurally generated base land creature is formed, then that creature goes throught 50 editor cycles, once the cycles ended, one of the species is randomly selected, if it can sustain sapience then it will be given it, if it can’t then another one is randomly selected, if none of the species can sustain sapience then make them go throught another 50 editor cycles and repeat.

the pros are that:

1. doesn’t require much computing power.
  2. is fast.

the cons are that

1. Is not accurate.

Let me know what you think about this idea and what could be made better of it.

2 Likes

I like the idea, but for realistic ecosystems you would need to repeat this process for each niche, which is doable I guess.

1 Like

The idea I had on how this works is that the entire planets in the space stage are pre-generated. So we can use a lot of computing time to finish simulating a planet for a wanted amount of time (or until an advanced enough species appears), then the planet can be saved and we can include that with the game files. That way we can have well generated (within all the game rules) planets in the space stage, without it taking a really long time to generate when playing the game.

5 Likes

You could even do the spore thing and include previous saves / planets shared by other people for more variety. Since that actually makes sense in the case of entire planets.

6 Likes

Then it would be an interesting idea to add a separate item in the gameplay settings, which is called “allow procedural generation of planets”, when turned on, gradually generated planets begin to appear (while the player is at the single-cell stage, it is generated there, at the multi-cell, again, the same stage , thus, such planets are on par with the player’s planet, although they can overtake or lag somewhere), if desired, such a planet can be saved in the same format as the planets in the game files

1 Like

Sounds exhausting. Maybe have a run planet generation button in the settings? You could have your computer catch up (or surpass you) every night, that way everything is generated.

they could do a combination of the two, planets are pre generated up until the aware stage and then there’s 50 editor cycles, this would mean that the game would stay accurate, and still have variety between save files
(i’m talking about the first two ideas btw)

Why would that be better than releasing a tool that players can let run separately to generate a ton of planets which we can then distribute with the game? Sounds like a bunch of extra work for pretty much no gain. And then some people with weak CPUs would turn on that option and wonder why the game is running slower while one of their cores is busy generating planets as fast as it can.

1 Like