Thrive of Empires 2

I will also now write down what the world is like since well ive not been able to keep the info straight
Ive Decided that the world is slightly warmer and more oxygen rich than our real world. There is Magic but it something that is mostly luck to aquire and that wont be the most usable till you build up a good affinity towards it. Some species start of with a small affinity towards it, like twillights absol. The world consists of a single super continent with plenty of rivers and lakes. The far interior is more desertlike while the close coastal regions are primarily jungles. Since its a supercontinent contact wont be the most common ofcourse unless you navigate trough the countless rivers flowing trough the landmass. The world is divided into 3 climate regions:
Tropical - Hot, Humid and covering almost the rest of the landmass, has 2 seasons: Rain Season and Dry Season
Temperate - Make up about 30% of the total landmass - Has the standard 4 Seasons
Boreal - Close to the poles, seriously cold, makes up only a small chunk of the continent - Only has Summer and winter

w8 so are there votes or something along the line?

You will have one Vote per round. I will role a dice from 1-6, and depending on the number it will scale how it worked out.
1 is Complete backfire/ you created something that can not be used for anything and ends up damaging the people who try to make
2. Is You created something but it isnt working like its supposed to (it has some negative side effects)
3. You couldnt succefuly invent it
4.You succeded and made exactly what you wanted
5. You succeded and it turned out a bit better than the original objective
6. You succed and discover something else related at the same time.

After like 10 rounds people would get a 2nd vote i think, im not sure in which way to add increasing votes

(if this doesent sound like it makes much sense, its because im tired af since where i live its already past midnight and ive been up since 6 in the morning)

I will correct anything stupid tommorow and put in suggestions that sound like they could work
Good night!

vote- Invent irrigation 4 agiculture

lol wait until the game starts
it still hasnt started

i think people should get more votes based on how much population they have, and rare events, this is the most realistic system that we could choose from

Personally I think people should garner votes for advancements, like being the first to do metalworking, the first to build a city, the first to make an alliance, etc.

that sounds like its gonna snowball…

“oh, [insert name here] just discovered how to build toilets? that’s a new vote”
“oh, [insert name here] just discovered how to make dirty jokes? that’s a new vote”
“oh, [insert name here] just discovered how to make a balanced breakfast? that’s a new vote”
honestly the population based one is most realistic

I meant major advancements, such as the ones I listed.

Things that could change how the world works. Metalworking changes the best material available, cities consolidate population but allow for more concentrated defenses and resources, alliances reshape the risks of warfare, and instead of battling one someone would be battling two separate entities.

Population is unbalanced because it fluctuates. If you have a series of bad events that kill your people, you will have an exponentially harder time coming back from that without being able to at least have some alternative ways to gather more votes.

And, while it hasn’t been explicitly said to be a variable in this game, if different civs have different rates of pop growth based on what they are this also puts them at a significant progression disadvantage because they simply can’t do as much.

yes but you don’t just suddenly get to be able to do more stuff because you know agriculture, or metalworking, or permanent structures, while yes these do eventually lead to these things it’s only because it allows the POPULATION to rise more.
the more people you have, the most stuff you can do.

Not necessarily, population can be a factor but not always.

These advancements open the doors for you to be able to do more with your new discoveries.

Anyway while I disagree population is a vital factor in general, I will concede that having more population is certainly one way to be able to do much more.

However, I personally feel it is more balanced for a Civ game to go off of advancements/discoveries and not population count. We’ll se what Null thinks when they get back on.

Gn.

The bad thing with population-based voting is that it can quickly snowball as you can use your extra votes to get even more population which get you more votes to continue the cycle

even thrive odyssey more balanced village system still succumb to the snowballing

Advancement based at least allows the gm to have more control over the balancing even if it less realistic

I personally think that game-feel/balance is more important than realism

You could always use the power-based system like in older civic games (like in nickthenick games) which at least make votes more relative than absolute

meditation

the discovery system can snowball even more than that, and in a much worse way.
someone discovers agriculture on the first round, and then metalworking and language in the next, and then currency, permanent structures, government, medicine and art.
and with each of these discoveries the ladder is pulled up for the other players.

Then balance the rest of your game so that you can’t do that. I know I’m an outsider, but I think that shouldn’t be an option. You get agriculture. You vote for like three more massive things that’ll get you votes. They have prerequisites, or take multiple vote, or something. Or just use the power based system. Not even saying pop is bad, I don’t honestly care just know the pros and cons. Make advancements based on discovery or multi-round projects and it doesn’t break the game. Anywho byeee I’m not returning anytime soon I’m not in this forum game.

Totally forgetting that these actions can fail, totally forgetting that to discover some oc these things you need specific requirements, totally forgetting that not all of these things need to give you a vote.

If I were to use your own logic I would say: “what stops me from making a civ with 1037289726737% population growth and use all my votes to increase it?”

nonrealistic, Null said only realistic abilities
and plus it would increase incrementally, 2 votes for 1000 pop, 3 for 5000, 4 for 20000 stuff like that

Is this seriously your point?

Yes, because the achievment system doesnt work in a similiar way.

I think that this game needs a stable tech tree, so for instance, someone researches sharp stick in round 1, then sharp rock in round 2, and combines them to get spear in round 3, but someone else researches spear straight away in round 1.

I propose that we can solve this either by having set tech tree (with fog of war of course), that, if designed well, will be avaible in 1 uniform design for all civs, both abovewater and underwater (but don’t worry, they wouldn’t be able to reach space or something), OR we would just ask creator, null, how to get to tech x (tho don’t ask how to get to spaceships as stone age civ)