Unusual technologies

The tissue development?

What is the issue there?

You mean…what is the “Tissue” here?

heh…heh…

4 Likes

This is the issue. Kinda sucks when you describe the problem and the other human just says “well you could theoretically fix the proteins with these unexplained translator proteins” and ignores the rest.

1 Like

This is exactly the problem with underwater and other really pointless discussions where the proponents always go “but wait what if they could use the INSERT RANDOM THING to do THE THING?” whenever their last really shaky argument is torn apart.

1 Like

There isn’t much of an issue with the tissues themselves. Sure, they’ll need extra proteins to link together distinct cell lines, but other than that why can’t it just work as normal?

Here you go. I quoted it so you could read it. It’s also Imperfect so I’ll explain again. Take, a jaw. In mammals the zygote becomes a blob, elongates, gets some foldy stuff that looks like gill, gets a mouth, and then an anus. The gill-like things become the jaw bones, and three ear bones of the animal. The ear bones are involved because ancient tetrapods heard with their jaws made of four bones each, but mammals evolved specialized ears out of the bones associated with the joints.

In contrast an ant just grows some spikes off their skin to bust out of the egg and after being born develop little leg things, some of which fold into mouthparts. Also in ants the hole that develops first is the anus, and the body plan is subtly flipped upside down.

Imagine both of those happening at once. On one half would be tons of ant legs , lots of them trying to fold into various body parts but other stuff getting in the way, and on the other there would be a bunch of foldy structures trying to become jaws and ears but getting immobilized by the proto-exoskeleton and opposite that on the same side the mammalian tailbone would be preventing the ant genes from folding their legs into a freaking mouth on the creatures butt. Remember: ants treat hole a like an anus while mammals treat it like a mouth. Same with hole b but reversed. No digestive system is going to survive developing in ten way and four directions at once.

1 Like

You probably also couldn’t splice a human and a car into a functional cyborg, yet I doubt this example will make reconsider the possibility of biomechatronics

In the same way, it’s not very coherent to claim that because two very specific taxa currently have incompatible development systems, the concept of this chimerism is entirely impossible. Even this scenario (which has been exaggerated, ants and humans develop on the same body axes), it should be entirely possible to manipulate the timings and positions of various traits to allow proper development. This would be even easier for alien biologies, where the specific parts are independent and have no natural crosstalk between systems

…DID YOU READ MY ORIGINAL THING? I am seriously beginning to question your ability to read, like for real I just said this.

To hybridize a human and an ant you’d either splice the eye and exoskeletal genes from an ant into a human and construct artificial organs for any other issues or implant human-like lungs into an artificial-ish ant to allow it to be molded into a more human-like body shape. I’m fine with that, but I don’t think it’s mixing species, just making something that looks like a non-problematic mix would if it were possible.

1 Like

So it’s possible to do something else. Why is this such an issue to my idea? It is entirely within reason that two processes with similar-looking results can both be possible

I was arguing against mushing together totally unrelated creatures, not making something that looks like an idealized hybrid. I’m totally fine with that. I wasn’t aware you were arguing for anything remotely like hybridization, I thought you litterally meant “you take some genes from this, some from this, and troubleshoot it a little” not “let’s see how we could make a man-ant, even if it’s 0% human or ant”

1 Like

So what is your argument against true hybridisation? I haven’t heard anything besides that the worst-case scenario for hybridisation doesn’t work out of the box and that other processes have a similar looking outcome

…UF DVGFHGJHYTSDGRHTFGYJUVTFRGSDHTFGYJFCTRDFGDTRYTJUKH i hate arguing with you. i literally said “you know okay, now that i understand your point of view that makes sense and im okay with it” and your response was “okay, how about we keep this going for literally no reason because i think you cherry picked your example or something”

2 Likes

@BurgeonBlas I don’t really know what to say really… you are ignoring the core of @Deathwake’s argument (which I agree with) and it seems like you are talking about entirely different things using the same words. So maybe it’s better for everyone to let this topic cooldown, okay?

5 Likes

using genetic engineering to create organic star ships that can heel and regrow. they would be powered by sunlight and ice asteroids

1 Like

good point. it is a little silly

Also that’s pretty much what the Yuuzhan Vong use in the later star wars books (everything they use either is or was living). I personally think they should be possible in the game.

1 Like

I actually think that’s possible, just not via genetic engineering a single organism. Perhaps having artificially created corals grow the frames for everything in a bath of hormone gradients to shape it and having special bacteria reform everything into metals or carbon allotropes. From there you’d have a sentient biomechanical brain, bacteria growing your food and ammo, and all the biology being fueled by radiotropic extremophiles in the reactor. Lots of living corals would be kept around to heal the ship, and a ship like this could easily be considered biological even if it’s a colony organism that grew around a fusion reactor.

1 Like

Gas Giants Mining and Mining Stations

Gas Giants Mining Stations would collect: Hydrogen; Helium; Methane and other Carbon based substances and, in some planets like Uranus, diamonds. (Maybe Hydrogen and Helium come in hand with nuclear fusion technology (stars), Carbon and Carbon based substances come in hand with different technologies and are probably wanted for many fabrics and materials and, finally, diamonds - or Rained Diamonds - are for the luxury market). It would make sense to mine this planets if it is ever possible, because the quantity of each substance here is huge.

The Mining Stations would be inside the atmosphere in adequate altitude and only devices would go lower to get the wanted substances. (Diamonds would be collected from the theoretical Diamond Rain of Uranus-like Planets with some kind of a hardened net)

I think I would be amazing to use the concept of Hot Air Balloons, Submarines (Different Densities in compartments in order to lift or to drop to a certain altitude) to these Gas Giants Mining Stations in order for them to be stationary at a certain habitable altitude level.

I think it would look really cool to bring some scientific concepts like this one into the game, because different planets have different minerals and geological/weather conditions and these Gas Giant Mining Stations have many markets to fill.

What do you think about it?