Which planet do you think is the best for colonization in the solar system

that isnt mars u describe Mercury (radiation) Jupiters satellites (rain) and Venus (pressure)

I think he was making a joke kiky

if that is true i have never seen it
also why is it funny

Or maybe he wasn’t i don’t know

@Voltron106 was it a joke and if yes plz tell me the origin

No, Mars does get radiation, just not as much as Mercury, but prolonged exposure is deadly. (In fact, all planets do, just some are better at shielding it than others.)

Venus does rain, the liquid water only appears for fractions of a second before evaporating.
And it also rains Liquid Iron on Venus, which occasionally does hit the surface, and would be devastating if it hit something critical. The middle atmosphere is a large concern for these raining elements, but iron and other metals posed the greatest threat.

(Edit: It is very interesting, I suggest looking into the weird climate of Venus, as I should also look into again.

Yeah mars would have harmful radiation

But isnt it like, twice as far from the sun as Earth

14%20pm
also wtf

3 Likes

It rattles my brain on how offensive Atheists tend to be.

I’m sorry,
I was raised in such a conservative, family,
and developed such a antipathy toward the green party, that this video makes me giggle…

Also, I’d rather spearhead the curve than slow down for it.
Start Terraforming other planets with out current resources, then we will speed production of resources.
Rather than spending money on R&D for alternative energy resources, and slow advancement in travel and economy.

@KikyGames Really?

aren’t we supposed to respect eachother’s beliefs? Isn’t being religiously (or politically) offensive breaking one of the forum’s rules? doesn’t this call for a suspension?

3 Likes

Anyway (double post, scree), what do you guys think about a mining colony in the asteroid belt? Would it first require a mars settlement? What kind of metals and materials are found in these places? Could you perhaps set up a base on Ceres, a body with its own gravity?

1 Like

What about titan?
Does titan have life?(hopefully not the marvel kind)

1 Like

Hue hue. From what I know, Titan is the only moon with an atmosphere, which is mostly methane. It has been hypothesised that life can evolve there, though we currently don’t know of any. Something landed there a while back and recorded the whole thing!
(This is a digital combination of all footage)

But titan doesn’t have water and why is water essential for life,if titan lif uses other componants for life why does nasa only search for planet where tempature is suitable for water

While this is true in and of itself, possible building blocks of life are actually very limited. You need:

1. One basic element, able to form complex structures. Apart from our almighty carbon, the only other candidates would be silicium and to a lesser extent phosphor.
  2. A fitting solvent.
    Water (due to its simple structure, abundent components and density anomaly) is very well suited for this function and you would be hard pressed to find another liquid which is as versatile. Sure, ethanol, sulfuric acid and the like may fullfill of its functions, but ultimately, their suitbility and prevalence can’t compete.

So it is very likely that extraterrestrial life will also be carbon- and water-based (on more or less similar conditions) and while it is also completely possible for some new, unimagined forms of life to emerge somewhere … this is kind of the problem. They are “unimagined” and we wouldn’t know what to look for, if we considered every possibility. So we stick with what we know.

1 Like

According to the almighty wikipedia, there are multiple metals which can also work, such as Titanium, magnesium, aluminium, and iron. Then again, I don’t know a whole lot about biochemistry, so feel free to disprove my claim.

2 Likes

Well, we actually managed to create semi-permeable membranes with metalls in their reduced form (google the iCHELL project), which is the best we have done so far in terms of pseudo-biological non-carbon structures. However you can’t really create a metabolism around them, since they don’t form complex covalent structures with other elements. And even if we someday find a strange, our-understanding-of-chemistry-defying way for this to work, we wouldn’t really be better off in our search for extraterrestrial life. After all, should we start searching for metalls? But every exoplanet has atleast some of them, after all, their crust is literally made out of the stuff.

3 Likes

This topic had a lot of inappropriate posts and resulted in suspensions. I’m not going to close this as there are still some on-topic posts being made.
I’m not going to delete the posts but this isn’t a sign that such offtopic discussions are allowed.

Flag and stop replying if you don’t want to be banned.