Which planet do you think is the best for colonization in the solar system

Jupiter has radiation fields

Everywhere has radiation fields

Well jupiter has dangerous radiation fields

And the other gas giants wouldn’t?

well i prefer radiation field than be crushed by a gaseous planet rotating at 5,000 mph

I think thats a pretty universal sentiment

probably do

Alright, lets make a list.

Jupiter

• Pros: Helium ‘mining’ operations, won’t be the butt of any jokes
  • Cons: Dangerous Radiation, even most of the moons will be cooked by radiation, no solid surface, high pressure, high temperature
  • Consensus: Maybe blimps and sky colonies, could harvest precious gases, very dangerous radiation to avoid, perhaps settle on one of the moons?

Venus

• Pros: Earth-like gravity, no pesky moons in the way, good for staying warm, precious gas
  • Cons: High pressure, temperature, stormy weather, hostile surface, volcanic
    *Consensus: Really hot on surface, perhaps a small scale version of Jupiter’s colonies, or really high tech ground bases. Terraforming could be an option.

Saturn, Youranus, Neptune

• Consensus: Just like Jupiter maybe. Moons are always an option.

Mercury

• Pros: Low gravity (easy to land)
  • Cons: Small, no atmosphere, really close to the sun, in the splash zone of solar flares
  • Consensus: Not a great place for colonisation, maybe can be used to launch solar powered vessels

Mars

• Pros: Earth-like, ice caps for water, lots of, iron?
  • Cons: Still quite a distance, takes months to travel there, low atmospheric pressure
  • Consensus: Very suitable for colonisation, with ‘earthy’ atmosphere and gravity. Many resources to support a colony. Minimal radiation as mars has some magnetic protection.

Moon

• Pros: Very close to earth, 3 days trip max, magnetic protection given by earth, high concentration of hydrogen isotopes (important to thermonuclear energy)
  • Cons: No atmosphere, low gravity, minimal protection from debris impacts
  • Consensus: Possible location of a lunar mining colony or space elevator, as the low gravity allows for the construction of more ambitious projects. Very close to the earth, allowing for short trips to and from the colonies.
3 Likes

How exactly do you think “making water” would work?

But those aren’t planets tho

Yeah but Venus’ll be quick. I’d prefer to just go “poof” and be gone over slowly suffocating, which I guarantee you, will not be peaceful

So both have pros and cons.

If we find a way to get water and Oxygen to Venus, lets go!

If we find a way to solve the little gravity and distance problems, lets go to Mars!

with venus it would take shorter time to send them messages and send them supplies and all you need is helium and other gases to make the sky cities but with mars it is a farther distance so sending them messages would take longer and how would they get food grow it you say but the soil would make the food toxic and they wont bother driving all the way to the poles to transport water

Rednascar you didnt answer my question.

How do you think ‘making water’ will work on venus? :thinking:

(Edit:) Dont get me wrong, I like the Idea of colonizing Venus first, mainly because of the ‘shorter’ :sweat_smile: distance.

well use the bosch reation

Actually, loss of oxygen is a rather painless affair. But I see where you are comin from.
In terms of some malfunction where your helmet somehow removes itself (or you fall of the sky colony), You will have more wriggle room in a Martian environment.

You’ d still need both hydrogen and carbon dioxide for a Bosch reaction tho, and hydrogen is found in even smaller quantities than just water, so no

You get the hydrogen from a gas giant all you do is send in a drone that sucks up hydrogen and spits out anything thats not hydrogen (basically a vacuum cleaner Thats installed on a drone) and to get carbon dioxide you have a machine on the planet that sucks it in (again vacuum cleaner that sucks in carbon dioxide)

A. Venus is usually closer to earth than mars, however that doesn’t have a make-or-break impact on message times.
B. Venus’s atmosphere is kinda denser, leading to half-scrambled messages (compared to mars’ thinner atmosphere
C. People would bring earth soil to grow stuff
D. And doesn’t getting hydrogen from another planet overcomplicate things more than just setting up a base close to the martian poles?
E. Really? A blimp in this?

1 Like

In the higher atmosphere not in that like above the gas and :belgium: And they would have to being earth soil too to mars too because the martian soil is toxic af

We’ll just use our feces to grow potatoes on Mars, i’m sure that won’t worn on Venus.

1 Like