šŸ”¬ New New Microbe Cutscene [WIP]

I think I got some ideas of intros. Maybe the Intro could change depending upon the stage that the player is currently playing.
Also, I thought of one scene that Iā€™ll show later, but Iā€™ll try to describe it. It starts like so:
1. The cam is pointing at a human city (on Earth) with many people in the view.

2. The cam unzooms until we see the Earth with all the little lights (the cities).

3. Then, the cam unzooms and goes to another solar system far away with some planets including one resembling the Earth, but without life.

4. It zooms towards that planet.
5. There is no signs of life. No green, just some water and large rocky continents. And all of a sudden, some greenish things appear (plants), but there is no light. Suddenly, one point lights on. Then, two. And three. And on and on. The planet is finally lit on just like the Earth. It would be like Portalā€™s ending, but instead of cores lit on, itā€™d be cities.

EDIT: Iā€™ll draw some comics of it later.

2 Likes

How would that work? The microbe intro only makes sense when starting a new game as thatā€™s the stage the player starts at. Would you want to show a cutscene when loading the game? Because there isnā€™t going to be cutscenes between stages. Or do you mean that the intro, that is shown before showing the main menu, should change based on like the latest save?

Itā€™s the latter, hhyyrylainen.

1 Like

Earth? Is having Earth appear really a good idea?
And does that mean that the Thrive galaxy is the Milky Way galaxy?
This presents a big problem; what if the players want to (for example), destroy every life form in the galaxy? Having Earth there breaks immersion, as we know for sure that what ever happens in the game canā€™t have possibly happened in real life, because weā€™re still here. Having no Earth keeps the Thrive galaxy truly fictional, and allows the player to do anything they want without questioning its legitimacy.

1 Like
Well I was just sayinā€™. But how many players would want to destroy every possible lifeform? I wonderā€¦
By the way, Sporeā€™s story was set in the Milky Way and it didnā€™t really break immersion.
But I think this current post should be moved to another thread, for itā€™s speaking of another subject.

In spore, Earth is hinted at, and is more of an Easter egg than something that is forced in the players face every time they open the game.

3 Likes

Well, I guess the Earth reference should be removed from the idea. Iā€™ll edit later.

Rather than making the earth of 2019, it would be better when the earth just broke into many continents . That way we can stay between the sweet spot of fiction and reality.

Well, fiction is relative and the scene I made was meant for the changing intro idea.

Oh wellā€¦

1. The cam stares at the Universe.
2. The cam zooms towards a galaxy, then towards a solar system with some planets including one resembling the Earth, but without life.
3. It zooms towards that planet.
4. There is no signs of life. No green, just some water and large rocky continents. And all of a sudden, some greenish things appear (plants), but there is no light. Suddenly, one point lights on. Then, two. Then three. And on and on. The planet is finally lit on just like the Earth. It would be like Portalā€™s ending, but instead of cores lit on, itā€™d be cities.

Better?

Zoom & Lights inspiration (SPOILER FOR PORTAL 1)

https://youtu.be/atVmv0CqwKk?t=52

I like the way the cores light on one after another. I also like the way the cam is moving.
1 Like

Ideas for different intros continuing off that
multicellular intro
Similar to cell stage intro but featuring a cell splitting into two but not seperating also showing other cells doing similar things
Aware intro
(maybe changes whether or not you are on land or in water IDK)
A zoom in on an ocean going closer and closer until coming out a crack in the ground a small wiggly worm creature
Awakening intro
Depicts a creature (Disturbance? Cyclid? Kuek?) Walking around before meeting another of its kind, they growl and bark until they both start gathering together eventually they pick up a stick or a rock and use it as a tool
Society Intro
Same or similar creatures to Awakening in a small town here you can see them wander about making new tech
Industrial Intro
(black and white colours to replicate cameraā€™s?) over head fly by shot of a city before zooming in on a factory showing oncemore new tech being created
Space intro
Overhead shot of the planet Created for cell stage intro (maybe follows similar pattern to trick you into thinking they reused the intro) before a space ship flies by, opens up some kind of hyper drive portal and warps away

Similar idea could be thrive menu background changes depending on what stage you are on cellular has the planet and hydrothermical vents (AKA the current menu background) Multicellular pictures of cells n belgium, Aware, pictures of alien animals, Awakening an ms paint drawing by narotiza of the disturbance holding spears some tribal huts
Society, Some buildings
Industrial, a tank IDK
Space, the planet again

1 Like

I feel having a cut scene for every stage makes the game less smooth and transitional, and makes it clunky.

Itā€™s never been the plan to interrupt the flow between stages with cutscenes.

If I recall this is the only cutscene. Itā€™s just supposed to serve as something between clicking start and the game starting so it isnā€™t just click and bam your a cell.

1 Like

In the foreseeable future, there will only be two cutscenes, an intro cutscene, and a start new game cutscene

Maybe there should be an ending cut scene like in spore when you ascend and ā€œcompleteā€ the game.

1 Like

:thinking: hmmmm

I donā€™t think thatā€™s going to happen for quite a while.

11 Likes

Maybe a loading screen too, just incase. It sounds like it will take a while to generate stuff that donā€™t exist. But please make it interactive and fun

1 Like

Hello again!
Iā€™ve lost track of which update this is meant to be, but Iā€™ve essentially reworked a lot of the microbe stage cut scene assets. Having actually played the game now, I have a better idea of what the cut scene should look like for greater immersion/consistency. Here are some screenshots of the new scene; its going to begin either looking at the planet or just the landscape, and zoom into the water. It gets darker, before the camera rests on some hydrothermal smeltals. Then, a tiny chunk of cytoplasm floats into view, and becomes visibly alive. The cutscene will probably end with the background fading or blurring, with just the cell visible in the centre. Here are some screenshots of my assets so far:

Hydro Vent #1

Hydro Vent #2

Coastline

Sorry for being so inactive, hopefully Iā€™ll be able to post updates more frequently.

12 Likes
The first and third screenshots seem perfect to me. However, the second one doesnā€™t feel right. Considering how deep vents can be found, it is unusual to see stars from below the sea.

Oh I dont think so.
Really i guess they are some particles, not stars.