Progress Updates

Let’s all praise the Underwater Lord, narotiza for his concept.

4 Likes

Is the membrane of the intro 3d?
And if is, will the membare be like that?

I’ve said this multiple times on discord, but I guess I haven’t said it on the forums:
The membrane will be made 3D exactly when someone comes along with the math to calculate the points for such a membrane as well as an edge highlighting shader (or another variant that makes the cell edges look good, currently the flat membrane has a texture that is more transparent in the middle to do the effect, but the same technique doesn’t work on a 3D membrane) and puts it in the game. That last part is optional if someone is willing to do all of the math and shader parts and prove that it works for thrive I can volunteer to put it into thrive, but I guess at that point they would have had to almost implement it themselves to prove that it works.

5 Likes
6 Likes

This little ambitious project has come so far, it actually feels like a game now instead of some simple test. We even are starting to have basic planet generation functionality.

8 Likes

The UI looks like this concept for 3d Gameplay

That’s because I made both!

7 Likes
8 Likes
8 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes

I hope it won’t last a year like 0.4.0 did.

2 Likes
IIRC, it was said it could optimally take 3 months to finish the engine refactor (engine change) with most features, and a couple of months to finish it up. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
But it really depends upon how many programmers are active.
2 Likes
5 Likes

So far so good, from what I can tell. Can the AI be copied from the current game, or must it also be entirely remade? Since Untrustedlife isn’t here to maintain the AI anymore, perhaps a redo is not unwarranted.

The AI is probably one of the harder systems to port due to the way it queries the entities of the world, but I don’t think it is impossibly difficult. Though, I’d prefer not have to do that extra tricky porting, as the AI has been destined for a bit of a rework for a while now.

7 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes