THE NEW Miscellaneous Talk That Doesn't Deserve A New Thread Thread Thread (Part 2)

I would certainly worry if they removed that one way to create a local user.

@hhyyrylainen, would it be possible to stay on Windows 7 without getting hacked given that no updates means security issues?

Itā€™s not been ā€œsafeā€ to use Windows 7 since January 2020 (unless you had a business license to keep getting system fixes from Microsoft). Windows 10 will face the same fate when the support period ends. There wonā€™t be anymore fixes to security issues and more and more virus makers will figure out how to easily infect Windows 10 computers with malware making it more and more dangerous to use a Windows 10 computer connected to the internet.

In 2025 you need to either switch to Windows 11 (which may mean buying a new computer due to TPM requirements) or just roll the dice every day to see if you get hit with a security problem.

In conclusion, I donā€™t get why people donā€™t just install Linux with Windows being more and more hostile with ads, user data collection, and dropping support for older hardware. So the answer is to install Linux and you donā€™t need to worry about what Microsoft is cooking up for the next version of Windows. Unless you are a game developer who needs to test their game on Windows to make sure it works thereā€¦

2 Likes

Ah yes, incest.

I did an updated Thrive iceberg analysis. Congrats!

1 Like

He was talking to me about my sister.

No, Steam changed the Big Picture! Nooooooo

Wait, is that the Elder from XCOM?

The last statement might be the reason why I would want a Windows computer, but some games will still be made specifically for Windows. Look at S&Box. Theyā€™re ditching Linux in favor of a hostile Windows 11. Garry Newman claims W11 runs better than SteamOS 3.0 on Steam Deck?! Bull!

I guess I could still run their OS on Virtual Box, I guess.

Hello Fellow Human beings, I have joined the Thrive Community Forum. I am new here. My name is Computed079.

5 Likes

Whatā€™s wrong with the new big picture modeā€¦

Itā€™s so much better now

It looks good, but Iā€™m feeling kind of nostalgic now.

Welkum to the Kommooonity Fowums. Please notice that we now have a :belgium: swear filter.

Wait, so that means that when I make my new PC, Iā€™m going to have two Linux PCs!

Update:
Actuallyā€¦

Do you think itā€™s a good thing that the government regulates AI?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Agnostic/Ambivalent
0 voters

Yeah, he has gone crazy about operating systems. I think Valve / community hackers will be able to get the game running on Linux as long as they donā€™t have invasive anticheat included.

Trying to run games in a VM is not a good experience. Basically the only good way is to have 2 GPUs where the other is passed through to the VM as a raw PCI-e device. Anything other than that is not going to be a good experience. And with todayā€™s big GPUs (that also cost a lot) fitting 2 into a computer is bit of an issue.

Having governments usually filled with old people regulating AI might be a very bad thing

1 Like

Yes, I love Elders appearance.
Maybe someday I will make a similar race in Thrive

As a win11 forced user, is cuz i have no idea how to and i scared that will belgium all of my files

If you donā€™t have multiple full backups, you donā€™t own your files anyway. You are just leasing them from fate.

3 Likes

It doesnā€™t matter how many backups you have, how do you know that ā€œfateā€ wonā€™t make a nuclear bomb set off on your backups?

Thatā€™s why the rule is: 3 backups in 2 physical locations. Usually the physical locations is considered fine as long as they arenā€™t in the same city, but many people take that rule to mean the backups should be in another country or at least the other side of the country. So unless thereā€™s basically a global mass destruction of technology the separate locations are safe against problems like natural disasters or a non-world war.

Hello Computed079, I am TaCM_3840

And Iā€™m Centarian

Greetings, welcome to the thrive forums.

There used to be another but I got that parasite out of my body a while ago.

We hope your stay here is a pleasurable one.

There are a lot of people online right now, there hasnā€™t been a lot of activity recently but I think its starting to pick up again.
(Coincidentally right after I post a new case file)
To be honest Iā€™m one of the only people that can regularly drive activity in such a way, the other being Doomlightning (who is even better than I am).

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed that contributions from other programming team members (and also random people on Github) have dried up. I suspect it is that time of year again when thereā€™s a lot of tests.

Yup, itā€™s finals season. Woohoo!