The Thrive Odyssey

A friendly reminder to please not urge me to post the next round as I am not always available to do so. If I haven’t posted a new round yet, it’s because I’m a busy guy.

1 Like

wE DOnT CaRE! DO tHE rOUNd or ELSe!

for real, take your time, we’ll be patient.

2 Likes

I think I’ll update the map on my part.

If we ever start this game again I’ve got to be Australian Aboriginals. Did you guys know they made bread from wild seeds, and there’s millstones in the archeological record stretching back 50,000 years? It’s kind of remarkable they never tried cultivating those millet and spinifex and sagg plants.

1 Like
UPDATE: I think I’ll update the map later because I’ll have to edit on Google Earth Pro instead and then reuploading it on the web. The web version still lacks some features.
Story

Upgrades can be seen throughout the world as people try to improve their current technology or invent new ones. We also observe the first evidence of religion appearing around this time and even our first inter-cultural interactions!

Volume 2: Diffusion
Round 39 - 60,000 Years ago

Phoenicia

Leader: Tekis

Actions: [15] Build permanent housing, [20] Agriculture
Result: 16/20 -5 = 11/20, 11/20 -3 =8/20
Some of your tribesmates believe you have enough resources to settle down, so they look into ways of making permanent structures. They managed to make houses with logs reinforced with sun-baked mud. Although they are very small and can more or less fit a small family, you now have permanent housing. Unfortunately, the rest of your tribe couldn’t figure out a way to replicate food, so you have to stick to hunting for now.

Also, you were visited by another nation, presenting themselves as Laestrygonians. You both got along splendidly. They traded some goods and taught you raft-making in exchange for some goats. THis means that next turn, you will have raft technology.

Villages: 1 (Tyre [Capital])
Region:Southern Lebanon, Asia (Middle East)
Stability: Sturdy 4

Population: 35
Jobs: N/A

Type: Bard (Thanks to your entertainment, you get a bonus to diplomacy and trade with other nations)

Technology

Tools: Basic (Wood, Bone)
Weapons: Basic Melee (Spear, Club), Basic Ranged (Shortbow), trident
Structures: Mud hut
Domestic: Goats
Other: Fishing

Relations
Laestrygonians

Shared Technology: Goat domestication, Rafts

Hellenes

Leader: Tiresias

Actions: [Global] Shields
Result: 18/20 +2 = 20/20!
As outcasts of society, you always grew wary of other tribes and couldn’t rely on them. Who knew what they were capable of? You didn’t want to find out the hard way, so you decide to find ways to protect yourself. What you came up with was tying some planks together to form a flat surface with a ring to slide into your arm. You made a lightweight shield that can block jabs and swings from clubs and spears and could even block a few arrows. As a bonus, they’re hand-free since you insert them into your arm, so you can use two weapons at once.

Villages: 1 (Apolonia [Capital])
Region: Coast of Epirus, Greece
Stability: Stable 3

Population: 24

Type: Outcast (Because of your peculiar nation’s practices, others tend to stay away from you, giving lower initial reputation. On the upside, this gives you a bonus to technology development and you are harder to spy on)

Technology

Tools: Standard (Stone, Flint)
Weapons: Basic Melee (Spear, Club), Basic Ranged (Shortbow), Primitive protection (Targe)
Structures: Portable Tents
Other: N/A

Britannia

Leader: Arthur of Londinium

Actions: [Global] Agriculture
Result: 14/20
After a while of searching yet again, you finally figure out the secrets of agriculture (Through means long forgotten through history). Your people get to work, and you manage to produce enough sustainable food to increase your population. Also, since you now have sustainable food and permanent structures, you have now founded your first sedentary village! Nice job.

Villages: 1 (Londinium [Capital])
Region: British Isles, Europe

Population: 35

Type: Diplomat (Thanks to your smooth-talking skills, you know how to convince people that you are nice, giving you a bonus to negotiations and initial reputation. You also start with extra population)

Technology

Weapons: Basic Melee (Spear, Club), Basic Ranged (Shortbow)
Structures: Stone houses
Other: Agriculture

Laestrygonians

Leader: Orko

Actions: [10] Set off in search of new people and new land in rafts, [20] Better boats
Result: 16/20 -5 +3 = 14/20, 19/20 -2 = 17/20
You send a few of your people in search of people to trade with. Since you didn’t pick a direction, I picked a random tribe through diceroll, the outcome being the Phoenicians. Your good reputation means you have traded a nice amount of goods and in exchange of sharing the secret of rafts, you came back with some goats, which means that next turn, you will have domesticated goats.

The rest of your people at home want to make better boats and upgrade their flimsy rafts. After observing the effect of wind on cloth, they decide to attach some to a boat and realize with amazement that they can use this to make sailing faster. As a result, you have upgraded your rafts to sailboats, which will give you a +2 to sailing related rolls from now on.

Villages: 1 (Laestrygon [Capital])
Region: Normandy, France

Population: 30

Type: Trader (All that time working with the ground has made you accumulate an abundance of resources you know others want, granting you a bonus in trading and initial population)

Technology

Tools: Basic (Wood, Bone), Sailboat[+2]
Other: N/A

Relations
Phoenicians

Shared Technology: Goat domestication, Rafts

Bananarama

Leader: Zen’Zon

Actions: [Global] Research better weapons
Result: 10/20 +2 = 12/20
Now seeing the loser tribe (Not even capitalized because they are just that bad) as a threat, you focus your time on researching better weapons to be prepared for the next attack. What you come up with is spears with sharpened stone tips and sharpened flint. These will be be much more effective than carved wood.

Invasion roll (1-3= no attack, 4 and 5=soon, 6=immediate skirmish): 4/6
The losers didn’t attack you this turn, but you can see some smokestacks in the distance, signifying activity in the area. Perhaps this would be an opportunity to attack them?

Villages: 1 (Musa Saientum Fixa [Capital])
Region: Nile banks, Egypt

Population: 30
Jobs: Soldier [10]
Status: Sedentary agricultural village, at war with losers [NPC]

Type: Zealot (You know your faith is the right one, and you want everyone to believe in it, whether by will or at gunpoint. This grants you a bonus in combat and religion but a malus in initial reputation, as people feel intimidated by your warmongering)

Technology

Weapons: Standard Melee (Spear [Flint, Stone], Club), Basic Ranged (Shortbow)

Relations

[details=“losers [NPC]”]

Tarkahmehd

Leader: Evolution4Weak

Action: [19] Agriculture, [6] Permanent Housing
Result: 15/20 -2 = 13/20, 15/20 -6 = 9/20
You were known for your knowledge of the earth, so it was fitting for you to know how to grow from it. Your knowledge of agriculture came with experimentation and a hint of luck, you managed to replicate the growing stages of numerous plants. Your food source is steady enough to raise your population. Unfortunately, your remaining crew could not find a way to make better housing on their own.

Villages: 1 (Acirema [Capital])
Region: Portugal, Europe

Population: 36

Type: Scout (You know the land like the back of your hands, which comes with the perk of a bonus in spying and exploration)

Technology

Tools: Basic (Wood, Bone), Net
Other: Fishing, Trapping, Agriculture

Mexica

Leader: Montezuma

Actions: [Global] Build farms
Result: 15/20
You order your people to put their new knowledge to use and build sprawling farms. They obey, ploughing fields around the campgrounds and seeding the ground with various bounties. With more food comes more mouths to feed, so your population increases yet again.

Villages: 1 (Tenochtitlán [Capital])
Region: Mexican Valley, Mexico

Population: 44

Type: Shaman (You are devoted to helping others while pondering about the mysteries of the Cosmos. This grants you a bonus in technological research and initial reputation)

Technology

Structures: Portable Tents, Farms

Mongols

Leader: Kada Khan

Actions: [10] Raise population through… means, [10]Sacrifice horses to the horse God
Result: 18/20 -3 = 15/20, 12/20 +3 -3 = 12/20
Your tribe gets… busy and ends up with cute little babies. Whether these are destined to be warriors or peasants will be made clear in time, but for now, you have extra population. You sacrifice horses in the name of your deity, and these offerings are answered with a flock of wild sheep appearing migrating close to your grounds.

Tribes: 1 (Kherzit [Capital])
Region: Mongolia

Population: 26
Jobs: Horse Archer (10)

Type: Religious (Your faith is strong and no one can tell you otherwise! You have a bonus in religion and technology research)

Technology

Weapons: Basic Melee (Spear, Club), Standard (Longbow[Arrows: Flint, Flaming])
Domestic: Horses
Other: Riding, Religion

Religion

Deity: Feel free to name
Beliefs: Feel free to develop

This is optional, although it may add to your culture stats later in the civ stage.

@blackjacksike @Mr.Pigeon @Pentaphon @TeaKing @Evolution4Weak @zenzonegaming @OoferDoofer @yp364

Sorry I forgot to tell you how to progress to the next stage last round. To move to the civilization stage, you must control another village and have 150 population. Also, I noticed I basically ripped off Spore’s space empire archetypes when I assigned you your cultures lol

3 Likes

action: discover farming.

the next few turns i shall start a cultural revolution and maybe even an economic one.

What do you mean by controlling another village? do you mean we have to conquer another village or do we just have to create one?

Hypothesis on how the transition works

It could be either achieved through a union of two villages or creation of another village provided you have enough population (AKA expansion). Am I correct @OmnipotentFNarr? If I am correct, please reply with a :+1:. If I’m not, please reply with an explanation. Thank you, and have a very safe and productive day.

My actions

The Britons research on iron metallurgy & blacksmithing.

The Britons research on better furnace & fireplace.

1 Like

if you had to start metallurgy, copper would come before iron because of the lower melting point of copper.

Action: Gain control of the herd

Deity: Yargoyin
Beliefs: Yargoyin needs sacrifices (animal or human) or the animals of the steppe will slow and die.

But I thought Celtic people discovered iron way earlier than other tribes or civilizations…
Unless I research on better fireplace first, and then I can research on iron metallurgy & blacksmithing? Would it be appropriate?

I haven’t done much research on your civilizations, but I guess to access iron a furnace upgrade would be necessary, yes.

Action: Research Permanent Housing
Might Edit This Later

Then, I’ll edit and repost my action.

Game that comes to the hunter, what a marvel! Action: Another 10 person expedition, in the same direction but this time closer to home (I’m fishing for fishing tech). The rest of the population works to increase our goat herds and become more pastoral.

attack the loser tribe.
make sure to take prisoners.
the prisoners either join us or die.
take all of their supplies.
and tech.
also whoever is the greatest warrior in the battle becomes the chieftain.

Nice, my tribe is doing very well!

Action: Montezuma, to make sure that the settlement will never run out, tries to find a way how to use the animals without going out and hunting. (research animal husbandry)

The Britons research on better furnace & fireplace.