Quick Question Thread

Here?

2 Likes

Is there an existing plan already in place for the transition from microbe to multicellular stage? And if there is, how smooth is it envisioned to be - will it be a direct jump from a 2D environment to a 3D one, like we have seen in Spore, or is there a more gradual and complex transition that has been considered?

#Not_a_Dev, but I can try to answer:

Have you played recently? There already is an early version of a multicellular stage mostly working, where your organism consists of multiple cells. Right now, once you reach twenty cells, you can transition to a prototype of the macroscopic editor, where initially your organisms shape is the same. The difference is you’re now in 3D and instead of individual cells the game only keeps track of tissues.

So, it’s definitely smoother than Spore, but in the end there still has to be a transition from 2D to 3D somewhere. Does that answer your question?

3 Likes

I have turned on the game recently, but haven’t gotten around trying the new stage.

And yes, ya did. Thanks.

What’s the current underwater civ thread?

we dont talk about such things that have been banished to the shadow realm

but fr, none exist since the whole discussion got banned because people acted stupid

1 Like

Okay, I just wanted to read the arguments people were making.

Locked. See …

The last few posts in Underwater Civilizations Take 3

Hhyyrylainen’s Challenge: UC to Space Completed

And [The Holy Grail: Hhyyrylainen’s Challenge of UC Metalworking Completed and Formalized with 47 Citations!]

… for further discussion. Basically, for discussion to continue, a bachelors level (or similar) paper on why underwater civilizations are possible is required.

Edit: meant to post this a while ago, but was unable to. Hopefully the links prove helpful

3 Likes

Kuvakaappaus - 2022-11-28 22-23-35

Kuvakaappaus - 2022-11-28 22-23-46

Truly a one of the threads ever

6 Likes

I’ve got another quick question, will you eventually be able to go on land/in the air in the microbe stage? (further along in development, of course)

It’s not currently planned, and we probably won’t have airborne patches to inhabit. (Ground is maybe a possibility, but it may be a while yet before we can adequately convey them as an environment. Not to mention it provides a trickier path to multicellularity)

Airborne microbes in particular might have a future as a potential migration method, whether by forced relocation via natural events, or deliberate evolution of water crystallization promoting protein structures, but representing a proper ecosystem in the clouds might be a bit out there for the time being.

2 Likes

i will use the bodies of my fallen bretheren to make a very small, unstable, and basically impossible to work island.

I’ve got yet another quick question, you’ll be able to go back in stages, right? For example, if your species is in the Industrial Stage, you can make them go back to Society Stage, and then Awakening Stage, and then modify your organism so that it isn’t intelligent enough to or doesn’t have the capability to use tools, and then after it’s in Aware stage remove the brain, then make your species small enough in late multicellular, and then remove all the other cell but one in the early multicellular stage, so that it’s back in the microbial stage.

Okay, maybe this isn’t short, but the actual question is.

1 Like

Going back in stages is going to be a tricky feature (and going back more than one stage even more so) so I don’t really want to put in the effort to program and test those going back in stages transitions. And even after they are added, they are a ongoing maintenance burden. It’s difficult enough to remember to test going forward stages to make sure it doesn’t break with some change…

2 Likes

Okay! If it isn’t in the finished game I’ll try to make it into a mod.

1 Like

there any plan to introduce the time (or timer) that count how much time left before u can mutant?

1 Like

No, as it’s not a fixed rate of time.

1 Like

What are the key differences between non-raytracing and raytracing graphics in how they operate?

1 Like

Everything? Well, not literally everything, I think raytracing still uses meshes made up of triangles but the whole approach of shooting out hundreds or thousands of rays for each pixel on screen and detecting what they hit to come up with the colours for pixels is entirely different from starting from triangles, applying transformation matrices to them and then flattening those shapes onto a 2D screen before calculating colour values using shaders where shadows are approximated using shadow maps (which are the entire scene redrawn from the point of view of a light source).

3 Likes

So raytracing is basically how lighting works in real life? It sure seems more simple than traditional lighting the way you describe it, but I understand why it requires so much computing power.

2 Likes