Vasarius: The beginning

Once upon a time, long ago, I created two halfway decent games called

and
https://community.revolutionarygamesstudio.com/t/thrive-civilization-game-part-3-reboot/

After a long time away, I have returned, and a few people have said they would like if I continued to DM a Civ based game, so I have decided to do just that, with some key changes that should help me maintain my focus and will hopefully create fantastic stories you will all love.

Now I would like to welcome you to the Strategy Mode spin-off of the Official Thrive Forum Game Competition and its many, many, many spin-offs. Instead of controlling a species, here you will lead a civilization as you make decisions to compete with the other civilizations and avoid collapse. Or see how many can fall alongside you.

As before, you will begin as a nomadic tribe, though instead of a central valley, each player will randomly be placed in a similar setting determined by an opening dice role, which will create more variety among the start locations. Each player will have a minor chance to modify their start based on their description of their people that I will use to base my rounds on.

The Game will start when I feel enough players have given an adequate description and answered some of my questions to flesh out the players.

As before you, the player is a mysterious force that guides your people through the eons. Each round of play, you can make a vote/big policy change for your people. Note that if you are nomadic, this can be choosing a direction/destination to migrate. Your votes can also be anything from choosing to wage war against a neighbor, choosing to convert your population to a new religion, choosing to research new technology. These are just some basic examples, as I will be relying on the creativity of the player to design the rounds.

You can be as general or as specific as you want, but remember that general votes have a much less impact than specific, while specific in turn, gives more fail points depending on the complexity of the vote.

Don’t worry; picking a vote in waging war on a certain target won’t neglect everything else in your civilization; it will just mean that your civ will focus on the war. The same can be said for most decisions unless such a decision prevents the action from occurring. Throughout the game, many things will run in the background, even if not directly voted for.

Players will roll votes for with a d20; to me, this allows more possibility and flexibility in my decision-making process. It also more easily allows me to attach modifiers to the complexity and realisticness of the vote being achievable. Generally, the standard roll for success will be 10, but this can be lowered or raised based on factors, which I will lay out to the player during the round.

1: total disaster, Fiasco level, someone probably gets hurt

2-5: Mistake and something bad will most likely occur, which may include a negative modifier for the future

5-9: Working towards a goal, but some negative effects regarding either the process or the result

10-14: Lower end success, got it done, but nothing special is likely to occur

15-19: Well done, you managed to get it done right, and there is a possible benefit to either your people or the product

20: Something good is coming to you, so long as you are ready for it.

Various bonuses can be applied depending on the role and situation. (For example, during a period of good harvest, a bonus will be applied if you vote for better harvesting techniques)

Be aware, though, that your civilization is large and diverse, and the decisions you make only push it in a certain direction. The people can get a mind of their own, and you can face internal dissent and revolutions if you are not careful.

Unlike the previous games, there is not a solid stability rating. The results of your actions and the circumstances of your people will instead create positive and negative trends that will impact how united or divided your people are, which may allow them to survive more where they would normally not, or instead fall apart where a stronger civ would survive. This gives me the leeway to not give perpetual bonuses or maluses to civilizations caught in a bad cycle.

With that said, your people will still maintain a relative power rating, which will determine, among other factors, how many votes your civilization will have and the success of certain votes that come easier to more established powers.

Power ranges from:
Tiny - 1

Minor - 2

Medium - 3

Major - 4

Great – 5

Superpower - 6

Power will vary based on factors such as centralisation, relative power positioning, unity, military force, population, technological advantage, economic prosperity. Etc

For each level of power, you will able to make 1 vote. Everyone starts at Tiny, so you all start only being able to make 1 vote, but if anyone reaches Superpower, they will be able to make 6 votes per round. This is not necessarily better because more power also means more responsibility, and larger, more powerful civilizations are harder to maintain and can more easily lose stability. Remember, the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Power is also relative. You can be a great power in the bronze age by having large armies of chariots and plenty of grain, but if you are surrounded by industrial nations with machine guns and oil refineries, you will definitely lose that Great Power status.

That said, votes are not the only things that dictate how civilization will develop. Based on your previous votes and on your interaction and development of the story of your people, you will gain “Traits” that give appropriate bonuses and maluses and will have your people develop in the background in certain ways, and possibly in ways you did not intend.

While I personally have no artistic ability, I do understand the necessity of something like a map, so if you want to create one based on your own understanding of the world, then feel free to consult me, and I will help you define it.

Various environmental events can occur during play, but besides these, most events will arise from the interaction between your civs or from circumstances within your own civ, which may be me prompting you to do something if you are falling behind.

Every event has a chance to fire; the chance varies depending on local ecosystems and such, but the planet-shattering ones are very unlikely to ever happen. There are also positive events that can fire, but most of them depend on previous votes you’ve made.

These events may trigger a decision, which will basically be a free vote to deal with the event, either using an option I gave you or by taking a third option that you decide may work better.

Votes shouldn’t be too specific, nor should they be too general. If they are too specific or too general, I will tell you and give you a chance to fix them. If for the sake of time, I need to get the next round posted, I will give you a decision that is as close to what you said as possible. For example, if you said you wanted to engage send a company of knights to raid Bob’s lands, I will approximate that as you encouraging your soldiers to pillage lands belonging to Bob.

However, more specific votes will be more effective when successful (and more harmful when unsuccessful). If you voted to increase intelligence operations of your nation to spy on other nations, it would give you a small boost to espionage across the board, but if you were to specifically vote to increase spying against Player X, that would give you a large boost to espionage against that particular player.

Unlike my other games, rounds will come in the form of DMs. While a general description of what happened each round will be posted in the chat, details will be scarce and specific outcomes may not be included. This allows me to have an element of surprise regarding the interaction between civs and on the general state of the world that can become a fun way to keep the suspense. Of course, players may interact with each other and give hints about their circumstances to others, but I encourage you not to be too specific and to include me in those discussions so I can know what each player actually knows.

Round 0

Past Policies:
Sapience: Your species has gained the wisdom and intelligence necessary for complex thought.

Language: Your people have developed oral communication to allow for complex exchange of information and more intricate levels of cooperation.

Oral Tradition: Your people pass knowledge down orally from generation to generation, allowing practices of hunting, animal interaction, and culture to be retained and refined over the years.

Mysticism: With sapience, your people have begun to think about the world in a spiritual way and now have various beliefs in spirits and the afterlife.

Fire: Your people have learned how to create and control fire. Through this, they have begun to cook their food. They also have applied fire to heating materials during crafting and to scare away predators. Fires have developed as a central hub for the activities of your tribe.

Tool Use: Your people have adapted materials in their environment into simple tools for hunting, crafting, and combat, often shaped out of flint or other soft stones. This includes things such as clothing and the usage of animal skins.

Basic weaponry: Your people have the basic ability to craft tools such as spears, javelins, knives, hatchets, and short bows.

Biological Description
Your species are very similar to the human species, though different in a few ways. They’re bipedal, omnivores, and hold similar limb count (2 arms, 2 legs) and proportions to early humans; however, their other details differ. They sport hair that grows primarily on the top and back of their head and varies in color from dark purple to bright orange. This hair can include facial hair and body hair. They have bulbous oval eyes coming in a color range from purples and pinks to oranges and yellows, as well as rare grey/white. Their skin tone is varying from snow white to dark purple, though the average is slight of center brown similar to the Mediterranean. Horn growths protrude from their skulls, though most are very small, the largest coming around 10cm in length, and males tend to be sharper while females have more of a curve. Their ears mirror humans, and their noses tend to be more snubbed, but individuals differ. Their upper row of teeth sports a double canine with those canines closer, the main incisors being larger, fang sized, though the size varies, and females tend to have sharper fangs. Overall height is around 5’4, and weight ranges from 120 to 180 lbs.

Vasarius separated into various continents and landmasses, but most of the world is unexplored by the locals, and they are not sure how the world itself is divided.

Life forms differ from those on Earth, and the different landmasses each have diverse and rich evolutionary backstories. As well as this geologically, they’re all unique, so enjoy the late game exploration. The world is home, however, to some extraordinary natural wonders and creatures that can change the local happiness (and other factors) of populations in the area. So prepare to delve into my world.

As I have stated before, this game will be performed differently from all my previous ones, and each round will consist of a general round description posted in the Community Topic, which will cover some globally observed trends, specific world events, and fun smaller things that I thought were cool enough to include. Each player will receive a more detailed and tailored report based on their own votes and circumstances. Players may communicate with each other, but I would like to be involved to know who knows what exactly. Players may request more details on their report, and such details may filter to other groups (i.e., population estimates when the time comes), but certain details will be relatively more estimates if proper structures are not in place to actually ascertain the truth.

For this first round, each player will give me a description of their people, which may include things like their current location, culture, leadership structure, beliefs, etc. The more detailed it is, the more I can play with it for my rolls, which will determine your actual starting conditions.

Players may voluntarily choose to start close to each other, but as a general rule, if it’s not in the lore background, then I will instead isolate players to allow development, though this may come back to haunt you since you will then not have details on what other players are doing in your reports.

The final piece, due to my prolonged absence, I have decided not to wait for players that may be gone from the community. As such, the waitlist and player list are currently reset. I think with my new set of rules, I will attempt to accommodate all who wish to join, but we will see how it works out.

If you have not already joined this discord, I highly encourage you to do so as it will be my main way to interact and get you guys some of the details:

https://discord.gg/eAQQznf 4

6 Likes

I would like to join this one

Name: Arcimea
Current Location: Forest/Grassland, Somewhere near a river, Maybe in a valley ,i guess
Leadership: a very democratic tribe, no decision can be made without a supermajority of the tribe agreeing with it, though in recent years, the tribes have been moving toward more of a republic as people start voting in groups

Anything else is something you can decide for me, i am not really a role playing guy lol

1 Like

By location I meant more what are your surrounding like lol

1 Like

Well that certainly seems interesting, I’ll join.

Name: Serimad

Location: savannah-like biome, lots of grasslands, sparse trees, watering holes

Culture: The Serimad are a nomad group of tight-knit families who value the family bonds over everything. As a result, they don’t take too kindly to strangers and are very territorial. They have lots of respect for the elderly and even more for the dead, and in their mind, everyone contributes to the tribe forever, even in death, both physically and spiritually.

Leadership: Every decision is taken by the chief tribesman, chosen by the Council of the Wise, the 10 oldest members of the tribe. And while the chief technically makes every decision, the Elders have a right to Veto, implying this may be more of a gerontocracy than an autocracy.

I hope I didn’t miss anything

1 Like

Gotta bring my boys back.

The Beastmen are a tribe dedicated to the hunt. To them, the world is beholden to the eternal cycle of predator and prey where they reign supreme. They see themselves as the ultimate predators, but they respect the beasts that provide them the honor of the hunt.
Beastmen adorn themselves with trophies of their kills. The first trophy of a Beastman is sacred and considered a rite of passage. Those of age that have not made their first kill and claimed a trophy are considered cowards and only tolerated within the tribe.
Decisions are made communally, but those which have amassed trophies are heard more clearly by the tribe, going so far as to let particularly successful hunters make decisions without consulting a majority of the tribe.
Within the tribe there is no family unit. Child rearing and care of the wounded is a job taken by those that are no longer capable of participating in the hunt, either through injury or age.
A Beastman’s home is the lush grassland or arid savanna where the pursuit of the hunt is the strongest.

1 Like

well, i will joint

Name: Griblors

Locations: In the taigas like biomes similar to kamichatka, arounds lake and mountains

Culture: They are in a place that is unforgiving and cruel if you fail to survive, and because of this, they are forced to roam and track animal movement to find food. They are a little more friendly to others as long as they are not attacked, but since if attacked, they were ruthless if necessary. When someone dies, they prefer to bring him along with them until they reach a unique place where they burn the body in a short worship. In terms of belief, they believe that the world is determined by the cycles of movements: the water, the movement of the animals and themselves, and the disturbance of too much can be disastrous, so they prefer to hunt only what is necessary or take only what is necessary, and in cases that attack them, fend off Kill if there is no choice, because of this, they have a tendency to more vegetarians.

Leadership: They consist of a considerable number of families, each of which, in inventing the transfer of family knowledge to its descendants, helps the tribe survive and know the environment and how it was run, but this society is similar to the Matriarchy in which each family has a representative representative of all families. Each family specializes in a different field of life: one family explores, the other cooks, another arms maker, doctors and another explores the environment and movement of the world.
Thanks to this system, there are more specialties for the family that an individual comes from, which contributes to survival.

I hope it’s detailed enough (and sorry if it’s too much or not understood)

1 Like

I’ll join too

Name: Kaloyj

Locations: A temperate-hot climate zone(similiar to the mediterranean climate), they are in a plain that is near a sea and a forest, in the horizont mountains can be seen

Culture: The people ok Kaloyj are curious, and keen to seek the truth, they value intelligence and knowledge. Their culture has a lot of gods, but there are 3 main gods that are worshipped the most:

1. Zayjl, the most important god, he represents sapience and knowledge, is said that he was the one that gave the Kaloyj intelligence, elevating them from animalhood. He is described as concetricals rings that have houndreds of eyes that see nothing else other than the truth.

2. Yelma, the goddess of life, is said that she created life using her blood by wounding herself. She is described as a conglomerate of arms, eyes and mouths.

3. Zalt, the god of the sea, is said that he is the one that created the sea and that he reigns over it to this day. He is described as a giant “fish” with no eyes but thousands of mouths.

Leadership: The Kaloyj use a system in wich a group called “Akju” composed of the smartest and most knowledgeable people of the tribe, that consult eachother to decide what to do.

I hope I did it right.

1 Like

Name:Tennezzo

Culture:Tennezzo encourages nomadism and shun sedentary lifestyles, prefering not to stay in one location for too long.Anything north of them is nautrally hated among the people while it is opposite for anything south of them.

Leadership:There is no single induvidual which completely governs the tribe rather consists of many family groups being tied together with tradition and religion as a basis though the most loved and/or feared induvidual in the tribe could easily be considered the de facto leader

Believes:Tennezzoans believes in a monotheistic religion.This religion believes that a great force divides the world,anything up north is considered unholy and corrupted,causing Vasarians and other animals to become less ideal than their brethren in the south.In order to avoid this,they must go south and be slowly purified.The reason for this they say,is because god lies at the end of the south,stopping the northern aura from corrupting the blessed south.This makes the ultimate goal of the tennezzoans is to go south and come closer to their god
The origin of this strange faith can be traced back to a meteor shower event,in which the meteor go from the north to south.The tennezzoans interpreted this as a sign from god,guiding them to the great truth and allow them to fully pursue their southern destiny

1 Like

Can I join?

i almost posted this as a separate thread oh god it gave me a heart attack

Name: Tierras Altas
Society: The Tierras Altas people live a nomadic lifestyle, going to new lands for food and water. Those lands that sustain them for the longest are seen as blessed by the “Gran Señor” of fertility.
They have a very divided society, with captives and those who do nothing for the group at the bottom of it, followed by children and gatherers, then warriors and the elderly, and at the top there is the council and the “Señor” or “Señora”.
Religion but quick: There are three “Gran Señores”, one for fertility (yes, that kind of fertility is also included here), one for water (because it’s a semi-desert, rain is rare), and one for travel (they do travel a lot). Every other force of nature is affected by the spirits of the things. Like that of a rock. Or a rabbit.
Anyways, they commonly give some food and valuable things to the Gran Señores so that they’re protected in their travels, can actually eat, and don’t die of thirst.
Leadership: Decisions are taken by a council of the six wisest members of the group, though it can be expanded to a max of 14. A council member is chosen by other council members to be the “Señor” or “Señora” of the group. This “Señor/Señora” leads the group to new lands and gives actions in case of a crisis that needs quick decisions.

1 Like

With 7 people I think I have enough info to start writing the round. The close off won’t be until tomorrow so feel free to join in, but know that if its too late you might not be included in this specific round

4 Likes

Name: Epresias

Location: large plains, and fertile hills with a massive lake to the south

Culture: The Epresias are a nomadic people, and are quite satisfied with the land they live in. They focus mainly on their current life and how to make it better. They don’t put much faith in the spiritual, preferring to put more in the intellectuals of their society. The Epresias don’t value family groups, instead they focus on the community as a whole.

Leadership: The Epresias have a defacto king of their tribe, and upon their death, they are replaced by the most intelligent citizen. The king wields absolute power over everyone within the tribe, and while the Epresias don’t put much power in to the divine, some worship the king as nearly a god.

1 Like

preys to random gods and whatnot I’m not too late

Name: Orcrux
Location: a large island like Hawaii, Japan or the Philippines. (Wait those are all archipelagos)
Culture: a stable gerontocracy that thrives on oral tradition, feeding itself on the bounty of the sea. Orcrux family units are quite freewheeling, mostly lacking lifelong mating or bonds between family members being much stronger then those between other tribe members. Spiritually they are mild animists, believing that everything has a soul, though this mostly manifests itself as thanking inanimate objects like, say, the sea, for their ‘gifts’, or planting the seeds of ‘generous’ trees. buildings are made of bamboo/reeds supporting leaf roofs.
Leadership: quite democratic, though the older members, minus the senile ones, have enough power to veto pretty much anything and are often gifted extra votes.
member description: they dress in plant fiber skirts, with seabird feathers and fish scales being used for decoration. The highly respected odder members wear cloaks and in battle warriors wear wooden chest plates and leafy camo headdresses. The main arms are fishing spears, though it is most likely throwing spears and clubs would be made in the event of a war.

1 Like

didnt see that we were supposed to post them here

Name: Wyicka

religion: The patron God Pylo promises rich spoils and full belies as long as the cruel God is entertained through dancing of celebration or death. To please Pylo the Wyicka raid villages and hold large festivals, their way of battle is flashy and could be mistaken for a dance as a primitive form of martial arts to make a show of the blood shed.

leadership: there are three different leaders each with their own responsibilities.
Homa, the general leader mainly charged with leading the migrations and whatever doesnt fall under the other two. The Homa is elected by popularity.
Gali, the ‘military’ leader, choosing and leading raids but they also keeping the Wyicka in line. The Gali is chosen by a fight to the death
Yint, similar to a lore master or shaman, they keep track of history, technology and are in charge of the Idaki. the Yint have a couple apprentices that will replace them if they die or retire.

Description: Despite their grim reputation the Wyicka are colorful people wearing feathers, bright body paint and clothes. Wyicka are semi-nomadic with multiple ancestral gathering spots that they migrate to and fro with the seasons, raiding and pillaging all in their way. Interestingly these raids are not solely for loot or even their god, but for people. While they do take slaves what they are really after is knowledge and skilled laborers (like craftsman or herbalists) these people are called Idaki and are extremely valued, they are even given better living conditions then some wyicka as long as they comply. To entertain Pylo in between the raids there are many celebrations including dancing, sparring, and animal sacrifices.

1 Like

With these 10 players, I have decided to close the current round. We will see how well this new structure works before we add more players. Thanks, everyone! I’m glad to see that you are all interested

5 Likes

Let me know if you would rather I DM you your country report on the forum or on the Discord

aw man i’m too late!
i didn’t even know this thread existed

@Skyguy98 can i get on the waiting list?

Sorry i linked it in both places lol. This round we’ll see how it turns out and I might be able to have you join next round. The way in designing it should make it less work on me so I can have more players but I need to see how it works out

1 Like

I prefer the forums, i don’t like using discord

I would also prefer using the forums.

Round 1
Report for: A survey of Plant designation 44113252, known in report as “Vasarius.”

Vasarius is a class one Gaia level planet. Approximately 1.01 AU from their star, with two major celestial bodies orbiting the planet and a rotational rate of 30 hrs (galactic standard) and an orbital rate of 400 days (galactic standard). They were noted as “odd to have such, even numbers” by Science Officer 2LT Joria, who subsequently got hit in the back of the head by Science Officer 2LT Rigor. The planet Vasarius has over 1,500,000 notable species of animals and 2,300,000 species of unique plants. A substantial fraction is living in the planet’s singular ocean, and the planet is divided into three established continental bodies, though geological verification is unrecommended. The planet has one major species exhibiting characteristics affiliated with Sapience, whose status makes up pages 2-15 of this report. As a result, the planet is recommended to be declared a developing planet per Galactic Charter 2.1(.3.2) of the Rights of Sentient Development. It is also recommended that a scientific outpost be established for continuous developmental updates, recommended to be manned by anthropological, sociological, and geological experts. Any future updates on the status of the local population will note significant trends, observable differences and be concluded by reports on ten special people selected to be the basis of our writing.
Report signed, Commander of Science Vessel 32321 “Starborne,” CPT Joli Resa.

@Jellyfishmon @Deathwake @Ooferdoofer @Nover452 @Positivetower @fralegend015 @doomlightning @MisterMustachio @OmnipotentFNarr @evolution4weak

8 Likes